Hello! I’m done with bucket lugging water changes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anaquatica

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m new to the hobby - since 10/2022.. and I started with a 3.5 gal and 10 gallon so bucket water changes were fine. But now I have two 20 gal long a 40 gal breeder and a 55 gallon as well and I just need to speed up time spent and not hurt myself while changing water in my tanks. My question is: what size tepe water pumps should I purchase for the size I’d tanks.. what diameter hose should I buy? I’ve been in Amazon but I have no idea what I’m looking for. I live in an old house and the python will not work on any faucet in my house. I’m in an upstairs apt- and my laundry room is downstairs- my house is a weird layout. Built in 1922 ans was a garage first floor upstairs duplex turned into a two story home. So- it’s just weird and impractical. I want to run a hose to my tub 60 ft away- but would like to use a water pump. I have no idea what to buy or how big or small I need for 20 gal minimum to 55 gal max. Don’t think I’ll be buying any thing bigger- I’m defiantly buying more 20 gal-40 gal aquariums though.
I appreciate any response? Ana

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Is there any taps upstairs that you can use, or are they all downstairs?

If there are no taps at all in the upstairs section, any water pump you get will need to be able to pump water from one floor to the next, maybe 10-12 feet, possibly more. The pump will need to be able to pump about 50 gallons per hour at that height. Most water pumps should have a chart on the box that shows how high they pump the water and what flow rate you get at the various heights. You want a pump that will do slightly more than you need because most pumps push up slightly less water than they state on the box. The higher the water needs to go, the bigger the pump you need to get it there.

It might be cheaper to get a plumber in to run a cold water pipe up to the second floor and fit a tap and sink up there. Alternatively, use a garden hose from an outside tap and run the hose upstairs. Have another tap on the outlet of the garden hose and use that to fill up water containers. Dechlorinate the water in the containers and let it warm up to room temperature, then use a small water pump and 1/2 inch diameter hose to fill the tanks. A garden hose from an outside tap will be fine in warmer weather but if it freezes then maybe see if you can get a garden type tap for indoors and run the hose up through the house.

If you use a garden hose to fill tanks, run water through the hose for at least 5 minutes before collecting any water. Garden hoses have a softening agent in them that is toxic to all animals, birds, fish and reptiles. The warmer the water, the more softening agent that can leach into the water while the hose is sitting there. Running water through the hose for 5 minutes before collecting water will help to flush out the contaminated water and it should be safer for the fish.

I

Thank you for your reply.. and for reading my gigantic question. I do have two bathrooms and a kitchen upstairs.. so I have a place to get and dispose water but it’s about 60 ft from my fish room. None of the faucets will work with a python so I would like to use a pump to remove water and a conveniently placed pump and bucket in my tub to re fill water. I’m
Confused about what pump to buy for my needs- what wattage and how many gal/ per min would Be enough. I don’t want to buy a huge pump nor a cheap tiny useless pump. Also, is there a difference between a water sump pump and a pump for water changes? Or a Powerhead, like in aquarium co-op web store? Bit gloom like they would also work for water changes.. but idk ??*♀️
Thank you again

I'm not a big fan of python gravel cleaners but you can use a gravel cleaner like the python to drain water out of the tank and into a drain that is lower than the tank (on the floor). Just let gravity do the job for you. Then use your pump and attach that to the python to refill the tanks, or get a separate hose for that.

Powerheads, sump pumps and water pumps are all the same sort of thing, a submersible pump that moves water. Powerheads tend to be smaller than sump pumps but they all work off the same principle and usually have an impellor that consists of a magnet with plastic blades on one end. This sits inside a plastic case that has an electric coil and some electrical components. The electronics are sealed in a plastic resin so water can't get in. Water is drawn in one side and pumped out another side.

Wattage is irrelevant when it comes to water pumps and the only reason you look at the watts on a pump is to find an energy efficient pump to reduce power consumption. If your pump is only running for an hour or two each week, when you do water changes, it won't make a lot of difference what wattage is used by the pump.

Because the water being pumped into the tanks is on the same floor as the tanks, you only need a water pump that can pump up x amount of gallons at the maximum height of your tanks. You need to measure how high the top of your tanks are from the floor, and that is how high the pump needs to pump water. So if the top of your highest tank is 5 feet above the ground, you will need a water pump that can pump 50 gallons per hour (or more) at 5 feet. If you get a pump that does 100 gallons per hour at 5 feet, that would be fine and fill the tanks quicker than a pump pushing 50 gallons per hour. However, this might be a bit quick for small tanks.

I used an AquaClear 800 powerhead to do this in my place. The top of my tanks were 4.5 ft above the ground and the powerhead did it easily. I just had some clear plastic hose on the outlet of the powerhead and made a U out of pvc pipe to go on the outlet end of the hose. The U was hung upside down over the edge of the tank and allowed me to leave it hanging on the tank while it filled up. When the tank was full, I turned the pump off at the power point, moved the hose to another tank and refilled the holding bucket (containing the powerhead) with dechlorinated water. I then turned the pump back on and filled another tank.

A powerhead or sump pump or pond pump that pumps 50-100 gph at 5 feet would probably be suitable for you.

Get a brand name pump (Eheim, AquaClear or something common) and that has a decent warranty. Most good pumps should have a 2+ year warranty. Some of the cheaper pumps won't have any warranty or might only have a 6 month warranty. You can try the cheaper pumps if you like but you generally get what you pay for. My preferred powerhead/ water pump is AquaClear powerhead and then Eheim Hobby pumps. There are plenty of other brands so find something that is suitable for your situation and where you can get replacement parts. The main replacement parts in these things is the impellor, impellor shaft, and rubber gromets that go on the ends of the impellor shaft. Most companies sell these items separately or as a unit (impellor, shaft & gromets). The parts don't normally wear out that quickly but the impellor shafts can be made of steel or ceramic, and the ceramic ones can break if you handle them roughly or drop them. However, the ceramic shafts don't wear as quickly as the metal shafts do. Most pumps have a metal shaft, Eheim is the main one that used to do ceramic shafts.

If you find some pumps online, post a link and we can check it out. And tell us the max height of your tank so we can try to match something up.

Back
Top Bottom