Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scientifically, it makes sense. However, with my own (very limited) personal experience, I will never waste my money on those bacteria additives again. Doing the cycle with the natural bacteria went just as fast, if not faster than with the added bacteria stuff. To me, it actually gave me more satisfaction and excitement to see the cycle happening all on it's own.

i vote for that too catatonic

my goal is a tank with ZERO un natural stuff

just glass water fish and plants (ye and of course some decorum)

no filters, no cycle, no nothing

Well, the filter is an important part of the cycle. That is where the bacteria colony is grown. You're supposed to run the filter and the aeration from the beginning of the cycle.

Yes, but only very minimally. The filter is still the best place to have bio-filtration happening. Of course, this is for FW. I know SW works a bit differently with live sand and live rock doing a lot of the bio-filtration.

Catatonic is correct, filters play a huge roll in the cycle of the tank. The water runs over the filter pads, colonizing the bacteria. If you rely just on the substrate and decor, it will take longer.

The product cycle IME was worthless. I used it just as the bottle stated. It did nothing for me on any of my tanks. I used it on a 5, 10, 29, and the 55. This was before I found AA and got the truth that the product Hegan is peddling is worthless. You can't rely on everything that a company sells just because they sell a few products that work. They are still out to take your money. Here at AA, we don't make money off of our advice so it would be pointless to lie or mislead you. In fact, we try to save you money by telling you not to purchase the wasteful products. I don't trust the manufacturers farther than I can throw them.

Bio Spira is the only bacteria product I have found that works. I had to use it as an emergency set up for my 55 gal tank and it worked flawlessly. Within days it was cycled. I used that cycle product for months and it did nothing.

what should i do for my filter hose problem?
(fish get stick in it, and lose parts of the body 75% deadly)

atm i have a sponge fixed at the hose hole, it stay there due suction.
but i do not feel it's a safe enough measure.

what should i do ?

What kind of filter are you running and what kind of fish are in the tank? A sponge over the intake tube is going to keep small fish from getting sucked in. There is no other way for them to make their way into the tube with the foam attached.

i found a solution

i perforated (with a drill) the whole lenght of the pipe that goes from the filter to the main water hose (or whatever you call it)

i will post a pic in a few seconds.

the water flow is severely reduced, and the fish that get stuck on one of the small holes can get off of them quite easy ... and without getting hurt.

the fry wouldn't pass thru them and even if they would do i can always collect them from under the filter (i reduced the size of the sponge by about 1cm to allow some extra space for them to swim into)

1. you see the filter i have
2. you see the modifications i did
3. same but closer
4. you see the filter working in background
quality is poor, but if you look carefully you can see some leafs stuck on the filter small holes

Attachments

• IMG_0018_resize.JPG
    IMG_0018_resize.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0016_resize.JPG
    IMG_0016_resize.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0015_resize.JPG
    IMG_0015_resize.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0008_resize.JPG
    IMG_0008_resize.JPG