Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am fairly new to fish keeping, but managed to keep some goldfish for about a year (they are doing fine still) and decided to get a larger tank. I got a used tank on Craigslist with everything that guy had cheap. The tank turned out to be junk, but the stand and a few of the accessories made it a good deal for me. I ended up getting a new Aqueon 29 gallon tank kit that week from the local pet shop. Currently housing some community fish, along with some bamboo and some type of grass blade greenery, and a moss ball :)
I have been feeding two to three times a day (small amounts) aqueon tropical flake food, and about once every few days some wardley shrimp pellets. I have noticed the fish become very excited when the shrimp pellets are in the water and tend to chase each other.
I add about 2-3 gallons of water each week due to evap. Would this be acceptable for a water change? I know some folks are doing 50 percent weekly, but my water is uber clear.
Also, I am in need of some advice on water parameters and lighting. But I will find the correct arena for them as I am sure they are hot topics.
TTYL :thanks:

Hi. Welcome. Topping off is not a replacement for water changes. Esp if it is a newer tank (less than 2-3 months) ,weekly PWCs are essential. 50% is a lot.

First, test your water. Clear water can still kill your fish. Ammonia is invisible. I would do an immediate 25% water change on both tanks (assuming you still have goldfish ?).

Test your water. If you still have above zero Ammonia or Nitrite, change more water.

Use a gravel vac. Match temperature of new water to tank water ( doesn't have to be exact ) add Prime to the new water in your bucket, add to tank.

Goldfish especially in small tanks sometimes need 75% water changes weekly or more.

Research Goldfish, they need Large tanks or Ponds with big filters.

If you want to try live plants we have a planted tank section.

My tank pics are on my profile page.

When you said you got a larger tank at first I thought you were going to say it was for your Goldfish :(
A 29 can hold 2 Fancy Goldfish but bigger is better.

If you have your Goldfish in a 10g, read up and rehome or give them a bigger tank :)

Goldfish can live over 20 years with good care.
But there is so much misinformation and disrespect surrounding them that few get the tanks they need.

*off the soapbox*
Taking off the Goldfish Crusader cape.

In my 29 gallon tank I am using the AC ammonia remover... In my 1.5 gallon tank I am doing about 50% changes bi-daily. Sometimes I am using water I pull from the larger tank.
The 29G tank has been set up since Feb 1 2012, holding plants and volunteer snails since Feb 7, and holding fish since Feb 14 2012. I was making weekly trips to the local chain for a while.
The One and a half gallon tank is where the goldies are being held. I know they are in need of a larger home! I am looking for a larger home for them currently. I would like to donate them to a relatives pond, however there is other current inhabitants which would enjoy the flashy new guys. I have heard there is a local community pond which houses goldfish, I will look into that this weekend.
Twinkle, Little, and Star (goldies names) are very strong little guys, recently I gave them a bunch of black spots (some sort of chemical burn?) by over cleaning their home and misusing the API Goldfish Protect. I remedied them by daily water changes. These guys started out as trial fish. They are 19 cent goldfish that people commonly use as "feeder". I wanted to try it out, see if I could keep some fish, keep the tank clean, etc. Now they have been around for almost a year and have all doubled in size.

hey fish friends! so I have upgraded Twinkle, Little and Star's tank. they have gone from the 1.5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank, it's the best I can do right now! I added a bamboo and a leafy plant and some of my volunteer snails. Jump started the tank with biomax in the two filters i have going.

Back
Top Bottom