Help a new fishkeeper: Is this ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batu103

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbie fishkeeper here. I successfully finished a 7-week-plus fishless cycle in a 29 gallon freshwater tank and finally began stocking. My kids desperately wanted Glofish, so I ordered some Glofish black skirt tetras online. A couple hours after acclimating them and releasing them into the tank, I noticed one of the new arrivals has a few visible whitish spots on the body and dorsal fin (see photo, which I hope posts). The spots have a slightly crystaline appearance. I've done a ton of research to prepare for keeping fish, but these are the first fish I've had in about 25 years - and I'm far from an expert. Is this ich?

I have been going on the assumption that it is ich and now have this fish in a 10 gallon hospital tank that I just bought and set up this morning. I have the temp in the hospital tank set to 82F and am treating it with API Super Ich Cure. I have heard that ich treatments can destroy beneficial bacteria, so I wanted to avoid treating the whole main tank that I just put so much effort into cycling. I also was not eager to stain the sealant and decorations in a new tank.

None of the other fish have any white spots. All the new arrivals - including the one in qurantine - seem to be acting normally. They're eating well, they're active, none have been rubbing against rocks or plants.

Is this ich, and if so, am I treating it appropriately? This is my initial stocking, so I don't think there's any way the new arrival caught ich in my tank. Does that mean it's OK to treat it in the hospital tank rather than treating the whole main tank? How long after treatment until I can put the patient back into the main tank?

If it's helpful, my water parameters in the main tank are:
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10ish (the colors all look similar on the test, but it's low)

I'm planning on adding cory cats, a Bolivian ram and a dwarf gourami to the tank, but I think I'll hold off to see how things play out in case any of the other tetras start showing signs of ich.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM4RBCbvp4wj3EY7xgdjbQKUz3qEQ7ynWKNP79TUZ9Kdd5ReERJXsPqHVXmFIbVvw/photo/AF1QipOFuE7gYTuVWJINTdpIaVY_wEkOvYOf0cFFFzrl?key=czVUekNsdXAxQS02ZjV5UUtpTWdoRHVvdVJvcWR3

AF1QipOFuE7gYTuVWJINTdpIaVY_wEkOvYOf0cFFFzrl

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom