Help - Betta fish cloudy eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LukeJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I recently bought my first fish. A white male Elephant Ear Betta. About 30 minutes after i added him into my tank i noticed one of his eyes was cloudy. I'm not sure if he arrived like that. My tank has not been cycled. But i've done ammonia tests and they're still on 0. My tank is 7G heated to 24C

I bought some API fungus medicine and added a few drops of that. Does anyone known the cause or other methods of treameant?

Note: He seems happy and is swimming around constantly and eating This is best image i could get of the eye http://uploadpie.com/qe8EA

IDK about his eye, but right now my primary concern would be cycling the tank.
API Fungus cure is the correct medication.
You said Celcius, i assum you live in the UK or AUS?
How did you get ahold of Nitrofurazone?
I'd like to find a list some place of the meds that avaliable in the UK and AUS. Seems like you guys cant get ahold of simple antibiotics, but they give you oldschool nitrofurans that are suspected of being a carcinogen.

Update

The medicine i bought was from a pet store chain called Pets a home. The name is API Primafix. Ive been treating his tank for three days so far no improvement.

I went back to the store and they gave me API Melafix for free. With is the same but treats bacterial not fungus. I'll start that in a two weeks

A little update on his eye. when i say cloudy its not like milky classic cloudly. It's almost like the colour of his scales with a bit of that milkyness in there. You can barely see his pupil in certain lights

Your not suppose to use melafix with betas. Not only did they sell you a product that does not work, they sold you one that is potentialy harmful to your specific fish.
What i want to know is why they did not give you "Betafix" :lol:

woah

Really? I'm so glad ive not started treameant! Soo i hope the similar Primafix isnnt deadly too?

All the fixes have the potential to cause an 'oily'sheen on surface of water that can suffocate labyrinth fish...
basically it is an opion of many that the fixes are like 'bactine' for a wound...
Not necessarily all bad but not a cure for ANYTHING...
Change water daily and get used to it till tank is cycled.
The betta is already stressed,and is already at a fragile stage IMO...
Warm clean water(bettas ;like 80...) is the best medicine IMO...

Back
Top Bottom