Help catching pregnant fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqariumclements

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any advice or ideas of how to catch a pregant platy in a heavily planted tank?! Driving me mad

I like to just let the net "chill" until she will get close .. Then I try and "trap" her between the net and the glass.. Anything not to stress her out :) (I also take our my center piece so it's a bit easier to move around) good luck!

Try waiting until night. They seem to go to "sleep" after the room has been dark for a little bit and are much easier to catch. I always try to get them at the surface and bring the net up from under them :)

To catch any of my fish I set a large net on one side if the tank with the net pulled open. I leave it for 10 minutes to let the fish settle. Then I use a garden cane to act like a 'sheep dog' to gently steer the fish into the net. Sounds unlikely, and takes a patient hand, but it always works for me.

Depending on the inhabitants of the tank you might be able to let her just stay in there. If its heavily planted the babies will have plenty of places to hide.

Best way I've found to catch fish in any tank is with 2 nets. As described before, a larger net is set in the tank in a stationary position or used to close in the chase area and a smaller net is used to guide the fish into the bigger net. More often than not tho, the small "chase net" becomes the "catch" net ( cause the fish runs through it thinking it can break out) so don't use too small of a chase net. ;)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply guys are you ready for the story :s here goes

After two hours spent chasing the fish round the aqarium and getting very angry I floated a clear sandwich bag and with my girlfriend help guided it into the bag, one of my platys seemed pregnant a while back
But suddenly went skinny and thought she must of lost them however when cleaning out my filter I found two fry so popped them in the birthing divider aswell,

Anyway after switching the lights off all I could hear was a banging noise as the platys was pushing against the divider trying to get to the flakes below, I couldn't just pull the divider up so had to seperate all the fish into the jug but when pouring the fry and platys back in she popped out into the main tank face palm!!! So she is know back in the tank I think I'm going to leave her there and try save as many fry as possible once she gives birth!!

One of the filter babies

Attachments

• image-810629975.jpg
    image-810629975.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3587289403.jpg
    image-3587289403.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 57
If it's heavily planted they have a good chance at making it if you just leave them in there. I will also save you some sanity in trying to catch them.

I would say it's heavily planted? Plants have grown since this pik but gives a good idea

Attachments

• image-3585578295.jpg
    image-3585578295.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom