HELP! cotton mouth tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maligatormom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a huge problem. got a 75 gallon new tank. Cycled it totally great! put in our Red tail shark in from our 20 gallon totally healthy. Still have 6 barbs, pleco, and1bumble bee catfish in the 20 gal. Added 8 tiger barbs and the pictus catfish. all was well in the tank. A couple of days later went back to get 8 green barbs that we had ordered had asked the lady at the LFS where we had gotten the original tigers about a little red mark that a few of our tiger barbs had. She said that "oh that tank that you got them from had a little bacterial infection let me know what is going on." totally good with everything knew what was going on. So 2 days later we noticed one of our tiger barbs had fuzzy stuff growing on his mouth then a little while late another one had a start of fuz. Looked it up and it is cotton mouth. We took the 2 tiger barbs back told them what was going on. Long story short more are showing signs of it I would really like to Not lose the rest of my fish. Any ideas or remedys for this? Have been dosing with melafix and pimafix. HELP!

Salt dips for those fish that can handle it. Salt is always the best place to start.

Quit the Melafix and pimafix and get medication. Pimafix and Melafix are kind of like treating a bad human infection with herbal remedies and not actual antibiotics. However I would try the salt before you start adding medication because you have less of a chance of creating a drug resistant infection.

Also lots of water changes, starting with a 50% today.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

did a 50% as soon as I saw anything wrong with the tank. So far have only lost 3 of my tiger barbs:( did a salt bath on the last one, still croaked. the rest of my barbs look ok I think one of the greens has a fatlip so he will be coming out and getting a salt bath. Don't really want to do the whole tank with salt I have a pictus cat and they not so bueno with salt. Any specific antibiotics you would recommend? Still pretty new at this fish stuff.

I am not good with the antibiotics... all my issues currently have been solved by salt dips and water changes :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had this in my first tank and it killed all my guppies. The place where I got them actually gave me some medication a new filter material because they caused the infection. Don't remember what it was but it says it on the box that it deals with it. It is also known columnaris.

Get a UV filter. It can help kill it in the water.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom