HELP don't know what is up with my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonynose188

Aquarium Advice Activist
29g jbj nano
HOB skimmer
I dose cal/alk (2 part) b ionic
Tank is 4 and a half months old with corals.

I have Powerhead to circulate water and I pointed one up at surface to break it up.

White film on top and bubbles thst don't even go away when pumps and off. What could it be.?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121224_140259.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121224_140259.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20121224_140311.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121224_140311.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 110
Biofilm funk on the water's surface. Happens to every tank with poor/no surface skimming happening. I have no surface skimmer on my nano but when I do my weekly water change I use a Pyrex quart measuring cup and remove two gallons using the cup like an overflow. This helps me remove all that crap once a week. I will also do the paper towel trick in the middle of the week if it gets built up too much.

If it builds up on you real fast you should probably cut your feedings down. Try tiny multiple feedings throughout the day instead of one or two larger feedings.

Ya its crazy I have a skimmer and 3 Powerheads In my 29 gallon. I have the film and bubbles in the display tank driving me crazy. Should I feed smaller amounts a couple times a week.

Blert is spot on but why are you dosing? Have you tested and determined your daily consumption cause your tank doesn't look jammed pack with stoney corals. You don't want to add stuff to your tank without testing for it first.

Ya its crazy I have a skimmer and 3 Powerheads In my 29 gallon. I have the film and bubbles in the display tank driving me crazy. Should I feed smaller amounts a couple times a week.
You just have to find a way to deal with it or get something to help with surface skimming.
Feeding less will help. Rinse your frozen foods and be careful with wide spread coral feeding. Spot feed your corals sparingly.

Blert is spot on but why are you dosing? Have you tested and determined your daily consumption cause your tank doesn't look jammed pack with stoney corals. You don't want to add stuff to your tank without testing for it first.
+1
Never dose anything without testing first. You can cause some serious problems if you are not careful.

I will be testing asap I was told to dose 2 part by LPS Guy and he said my corals would benefit from it but I am ordering a red sea kit for alk/ca/mg tomorrow thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom