Help fish dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalikingsmoke

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I jist added pvc pipe and clay pots to my tank. Wake up this morning one fish is dead all the others look like there gasping. Whats going on?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And when I fed them none of them ate

What can I do? Should I add carbon to my filter incase some chemicals came on the new stuff?

How long has the tank been set up? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? Water change schedule? Any new fish recently?

Carbon and a pwc certainly can't hurt. I assume you have removed the objects from the aquarium?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can test the levels tanks been set up for 6 months.... jist did a watcherchange yesterday

Sounds like ammonia poisoning or low oxygen in the water if I had to guess I would say do a 50% PWC and just observe the fish from there if the next day they look better another 50% PWC and from there on out do weekly PWC of 25-30%.. Just my thoughts and opinion. I think the PVC and clay pots had nothing to do with your issues I think it was just a weird timing type thing. Just happened to be at the same time. Good luck and seriously do the water changes it can't hurt

Show me a fish that don't eat and I'll show you a sick fish

if the tank has been set up for 6 months and they just did a water change yesterday, we have to act on the assumption that the OP has a handle on basic care/maintenance, so I doubt ammonia is the issue.
I assume the clay pots were new and just plain clay, correct?
is their any type of film or oil on the surface or foaming, etc, any indication of contamination?

Considering the course of events I would act on the premise that something was on the items and poisoned the tank. use activated carbon and do a huge water change, as much as you feel safe doing, you know your fish and their condition better than anyone online.

one other possibility, did you use tap water or RO/DI water for your water change and if tap water has it changed in any manner recently?

+1 I would do a huge water change, ensuring your filling with correct temp treated water. THEN add Carbon. What type of filter are you using?

Hanging carbon on the back of the tank in nylon bags, or even pantyhose ( not cleaned with detergent or fabric softeners) will help absorb any toxins.

Did you glue the PVC? Toluene is a pretty nasty, very toxic, organic compound

Clay pottery generally is pretty inert. Could there have been any pesticides on the pottery? Too little time for lead poisoning, unless the lead content of the pottery is really high ( imported pottery may have some lead, if its glazed )

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom