Help!Fish dying of parasite!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today,my lone fish fry died of parasites. It was in a 10 gallon tank stocked with 9 guppies and 3 cories,tempature at 78-80, will test parameters in a minute.After I collected the fry,I glanced back in the tank and saw a worm about one inch long and less than a millimeter around swimming up the side of my glass like a sidewinder.It was a pale tan color.Several of my guppies have had red poop in the past few days.What should I do and what medicenes should I add?I really don't want any more fish to die and I was devastated by the death of my fry,Panda.

Did you see it on or come out of your fry? It sounds like a nematode to me, some are parasitic some aren't from what I understand. I have one in my shrimp tank that doesn't do much of anything that I can see besides swim around.

No It did not come out of my fry but the fry in question did have red poop
I bought Tetra Parastie Gurad
However the box says remove carbon from filter
I have carbon in my filter and a high bioload and no spare media
I am worried that if I don't remove the carbon,the meds will be useless and if I do,my fish will die.
Will the bacteria still work if I leave the carbon in the water?
If I remove the carbon and keep it in the tank,will it still remove meds?

The sighting of a little swimming wormy guy does not necessarily mean that is what killed the fish. Also, red poop often happens as a result of diet. It's stringy poop that you want to be concerned about, or white stringy poop.
I have never used that parasite product, so I am not positive of it's effectiveness. If you have non-harmful nemotoads, then you don't need to medicate it anyways.
If you do need a medication, try cutting the filter pad open and dumping the carbon out and putting the empty filter pad back in. The carbon will indeed remove the medication from the water if you leave it in there.

I'll try it-should I put the carbon in a bucket of tank water or will no bacteria be living on it?

The bacteria live on the cloth insert, not really on the carbon bits. Just throw the carbon away. Lots of aquarists don't ever use the carbon.
Again though, I don't know that you need to use an anti-parasite med. I suggest figuring out exactly what the wormy thing was before treating. Did you try googling nemotoads? Callamus worms?

I'll google those
I just want to be safe and not lose another fish
One fish has stringy tan poop but she is a rather small fish at around 3/4 inch

Back
Top Bottom