Help! Fish dying of unknown cause

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ariel_Under_The_Sea16

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I had gotten some new fish the weekend of easter sunday, i had five: Two Tiger Barbs, 2 Barbs, and one Albino Tiger Barb all in a 1 gallon tank with a heater set to about 73-78 degrees. Yesterday, My Albino Tiger Barb (Doc) was dead. His mouth was stretched wide open kind of like the scream mask. Then i woke up today and one of my Tiger Barbs (Biff) died. I cleaned the tank and put about 10 drops of "Fresh Start Formula" that helped take care of any diease or illness. At first i thought that they both fought but now im so so sure what's happening....help?

That's not a very big tank. What size and how often are you doing water changes? What's your params?

You definitely need a bigger tank, I'm sure if it's from toxicity it's because of the size of the tank and if it's from them fighting it's because of the size of the tank. A 1gal tank is not suitable for anything but maybe shrimp or snails.

You definitely need a bigger tank, I'm sure if it's from toxicity it's because of the size of the tank and if it's from them fighting it's because of the size of the tank. A 1gal tank is not suitable for anything but maybe shrimp or snails.

I most certainly agree. not even a ten gallon would be good for those barbs.

Well i don't really have the money to buy a bigger tank

I would donate remaining to LFS or a friend with adequate sized tank. Then you can save for a bigger tank and the fish will end up happy and alive. I'm not trying to discourage you, just help you have a happy successful tank :)

yea that tank is extremely overstocked, and the bioload is probably spiking the ammonia to huge numbers. with tiger barbs they are best in schools which would require a larger tank anyway. a 1 gallon is even small for just one betta IMO

Back
Top Bottom