Help fish keep dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I've had my 36 gallon tank for over a year and recently fish have been dropping like flies. We added some new fish from Petsmart and a few days later fish have just been dropping dead with no signs of illness. One day my 2 black neon tetras are eating all happy and next night they're dead just completely dead. Ammonia Zero nitrate is 30
Nitrite is 0 and ph is 7.6. I have a fluval canister and only have about 10 fish living. We had about 25. One morning the swimming that next evening they're dead with no signs of illness whatsoever so I'm wondering is it an illness or what's happening because I'm really confused and I'm really bummed to be losing my entire fish stock. Thanks for your help.
All my guppies died
3 mollies
4 neons
2 black neons
1 rubber lip pleco
1 platy.
And they just die. They don't look like they will die either but that evening or the next morning there's another dead fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh yeah. After 4 fish died I did a PWC. In addition to that its a PWC once a week.

I dont know. 30ppm nitrates alone should not kill a fish. Ive had guppies do fine in a tank that reguarly had 40ppm nitrates and breed like crazy.
Are you sure there are no symptoms?
Nitrates at 30ppm should not "kill" so many fish.

It may be some sort of illness from the new fish we got a week ago. The fish that die look fine but some of the others have what looks like white fungus.

As soon as I get home I'll take a video.

My LFS said 1 tsp per gallon once a day for 3 days. Would this be ok?

sorry 1 tsp per gallon of aquarium salt for 3 days.

Well I'm treating. With salt. I'm really hoping that's not what it is. It looks more like ick.

Well I'm treating. With salt. I'm really hoping that's not what it is. It looks more like ick.

Salt is the first line of defense for some bacterial issues also often.
You see ich now?
Ich RARELY kills in 24 hours(I mean rarely).
The life cycle of the parasite itself is 5-7 days so overnight infection and death sounds unlikely IMO....
Again IMO if you have ich it is a secondary infection to the main issue.
Clearing the main issue will often solve both, but not vice versa...
Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist
Know the enemy!

Back
Top Bottom