help heater problems...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
so my heater light indicator goes on and off. the water isnt that warm either. the heater is how its supposed to be and ive only had it for a few weeks and its worked fine untill today. what should i do?

A heater goes on and off as it needs to heat the water. Water that's safe for fish doesn't feel warm to the human hand, we're 20 degrees warmer. Do you have a thermometer?

What kind of heater is it? Most heaters have a light that switches on letting you know the heaters is warming the water then goes off when it stops. Or is this a power light that's always on?

Some heaters do that...mine does that too...it's set to only go around 78 so when the water is that temp then it toes off and when it's cooler it goes on..get a thermometer to see your temp

Mine does that too. The water doesn't feel that warm but when you lift the lid up you can feel the heat!
If the tank temp drops then it fires up and heats. The same as a thermostat :)

I agree, get a thermometer to check the temp, because feeling it doesn't really tell you anything. If it's a fixed temp heater, I've seen a couple threads here where people are having issues with them working properly.

Yes to what Mr.Limpet said, get a thermometer to double-check. Also, just to check, what type of heater is it? I know some of the Marineland ones were re-called (I had one and returned it and noticed that the heat indicator light seemed to go on and off too much), so if you have one of those you may want to check about a recall.

I have an aqueon.. its ok, the light goes on and off depending on if its heating or not. Honestly, id say get a better heater, mine doesn't seem to get up to the actual temp, and is always low or high... one thing I have found though, is if u position the heaters horizontal near the bottom, and put a bubble wall, or airstone, the light stays on way less, because it circulates the heater water much quicker ( the only current in my tank is from airstone, cuz I put a cover in front of my filter... anyways, do that, and light will be on for way less time

I have an aqueon.. its ok, the light goes on and off depending on if its heating or not. Honestly, id say get a better heater, mine doesn't seem to get up to the actual temp, and is always low or high... one thing I have found though, is if u position the heaters horizontal near the bottom, and put a bubble wall, or airstone, the light stays on way less, because it circulates the heater water much quicker ( the only current in my tank is from airstone, cuz I put a cover in front of my filter... anyways, do that, and light will be on for way less time
okay i will try that thanks! also does anyone have a suggestion for a good heater?

I have 2 of the aqueon pro series heaters and can't find anything bad to say about them. They are very accurate, my water temp is always 78 every time I look at my thermometers.

Yeah, aside from my temp. Slightly changing (could be sunlight, or room temp also) my heater works well, don't even notice the light on mine

Back
Top Bottom