HELP!! Heater quit & I woke up to a blood parrot at 50 degrees!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamami8326

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys! I know it's been a while since I've updated but I'm here because I need some help!! I've had my 55 gallon set up for about a year now with a ghost knife, 2 blood parrots, and a juvenile RTS, but I recently moved my larger blood parrot due to severe aggression problems. I set up a 20 gallon tank (small I know, but my only option), with an old 30 watt heater that had been sitting in my aquarium box for a while & a 350 gph filter (maybe overkill for the 20 gallons but better than nothing). I used sand & filter media from my 55 gallon and tested the water for three straight days. Yesterday when I tested water ph was 7, ammonia was 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 25 ppm. Water temp was 80 degrees @ 7 am yesterday, fish seemed happy and healthy as usual although a little miffed about his new home. We left for holiday gatherings, came home late and I didn't bother to check the fish.

This morning, the aquarium was 50 degrees and my usually pale yellow parrot was blood red, laying on the ground. I immediately filled a 5 gallon bucket with 60 degree water, put the poor fish in a bag and set him (in his plastic bag) in the bucket to start acclimating. After ten minutes, the water had cooled down substantially so I filled another 5 gal bucket with 60 degree water and let it sit for another ten. Then repeated the process so the fish hopefully would have warmed up 10 degrees Fahrenheit in that half hour. After that, I repeated the entire 3 step process with 70 degree water for another total half hour. Then I was so impatient and worried for the fish I let his bag just float in the 55 gallon at 80 degrees for half hour before letting him out. Now that I'm writing this out, I realize that was probably way too fast but I was so worried I guess I was just hoping he would perk up as the temp came up.

He is still hanging on to life after all that I've put him through, but his gills, fins and most of his body are a dark red/orange compared to the usual pale yellow/white. He's laying on his side on the bottom of the tank, uneven breathing. What have I done? ���� what do you all think?

I'm posting a picture, he really tried hard to stay upright for a moment to say hi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 68
For some reason the first picture that ended up posting was just a picture of the healthy blood parrot, but I've tried again and this is the picture of him now.

He's in the 55 gallon now, just laying on his side on the bottom. If he does return to normal and starts bullying the other fish in the tank I will definitely be taking your advice and either using a divider or buying a new set up so I can isolate him. My ghost knife is about 11" and is getting too big for the 55 as it is, so I doubt I'll be doing a divider.

I guess my real question is, do you even think the blood parrot will fully recover after being in water at 50 Fahrenheit?

Ouch that is low temp. I agree with above that now a waiting game and watching for say secondary fungal infections. I've had fish tanks head towards that temp but never that low, it's just not possible here.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely keeping a sharp eye now. We were going through a pretty rough patch of winter, although it's starting to warm up now. We could all see our breath for the last two mornings in a row, and now that we've bought an extra heater for US the main temp in the house is hanging around 60 instead of 50. Ouch is right lol. Australia sure sounds nice I'll tell ya that much

Back
Top Bottom