Help me chose an RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy!

I know there are several threads going on right now on some RO/DI filters and I'm sorry about making yet another thread but I really wanted to try and get some peoples thoughts. I think I know which one I want but lets get some feedback.

The first one is from ebay:
150 GPD 6stage Reverse Osmosis RO DI+Tank Water Filters - eBay (item 380323730560 end time Jun-09-11 22:32:17 PDT)

Standard filter that I'm sure many on this site have gotten. I would need to also purchase a TDS meter (another 20.00 or so). The big thing are the replacement filters that look to be around 115.00 or so. That is pretty big. Total off the bat is going to be around 182 with shipping and the TDS meter.

The other one I'm looking at is:

Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | EXTREME TYPHOON III 150 GPD RODI with Gauge & TDS Alarm & Dual TDS Meter

This one comes with the TDS meter so I won't have to worry about that and replacement filters look to be around 46.00! That is a big difference. Higher upfront cost though being around 280 PLUS shipping (guessing around 30 more dollars) so 310 to start.

I'm leaning toward the second one as I think long-term it may be a better investment. It is about 130 more dollars which is not a small amount.

So what do others think?

What do others think?

Last edited:
well number two certainly gets my vote on appearance lol

Check out FilterDirect's store on Ebay. They sell a 100gpd for around $140 and it comes with DI chambers and a pressure gauge. I've had it for a few months and it works perfectly... water in: 520+ppm water out: 000ppm

Where do you get your replacement filters? It is hard to find them on that person's ebay store but piecing together a couple different sells it looks like replacements will be around 100.

I guess another question I should be asking is how often do people have to change the filters?

Not trying to be mean or anything, but does anyone really need a RO/DI system that makes up to 150gpd? I'm planning to set up a 220g soon and I was just curious why people make so much RO/DI water :)

Not trying to be mean or anything, but does anyone really need a RO/DI system that makes up to 150gpd? I'm planning to set up a 220g soon and I was just curious why people make so much RO/DI water :)

Some people use their systems for drinking water too at their sink.

I have a 100gpd and haven't made more than 40g at one time. But some people also keep lots of extra water on hand for emergencies. I have 20g for my backup amount. Not sure if the gpd means it actually flows out pure faster, but that's a possibility. LOL

All I know is I get 0tds water and it takes an hour or less for 5g and it cost me like $65. I am starting a 125g and I anticipate needing ALOT more water in the future.

Also I have lower water pressure and am hoping one made for more per day will help plus even if I don't make 150 per day it will make what I need much faster. I have always been a fan of overkill.

My water is extremely hard (527ppm last time I checked) and my pressure is at 25. In order to fill my 13g mixing can it takes about 6-8 hours. Point being, if I got anything less, I'd be shooting myself. 150gpd is with ideal conditions.

I know my water system tops out around 50 psi. Granted, it is better than Patrick (thank god!) but still it isn't ideal for one. 150 GPD is at something like 100 psi. I may get 1/2 that if I'm lucky.

Do I need it? Maybe not in the long run but I have a feeling I'll upgrade my tank down the line and I figured it would be better to get something better now.

I know my water system tops out around 50 psi. Granted, it is better than Patrick (thank god!) but still it isn't ideal for one. 150 GPD is at something like 100 psi. I may get 1/2 that if I'm lucky.

Do I need it? Maybe not in the long run but I have a feeling I'll upgrade my tank down the line and I figured it would be better to get something better now.

Exactly how I feel! I know a larger tank is in my future, and I won't have to wait 3 days for a smaller unit to fill a much larger drum for water changes.

You deff need a rodi unit I had terrible brown algea without it as soon as I bought my ro it fixed it right up. If u gonna do sw you have to spend $ and do it right

Has anyone thought about going to lowes and buying all the stuff to just build there own????alot of companies use a GE ro filter that u can get from lowes anyway

Well i got my unit but can't hook it up because i forgot to get a garden hose adapter and don't feel like going to the store for one right now. It came with a hand held TDS meter and a dual in-line meter.

I have two choices of where to get the water-my city water hookup and my well. The city water is reading right at 145 and the well is at 170. The only thing with the well is it has a brown color to it... but would be much cheaper to make it... choices choices choices...

Yea but the filters would get dirty quicker city water they wouldn't

That is true. I may do the first set of water (140 gallons or so) with the well water because it is so much cheaper then I can switch over to city water for the regular water changes.

Well I got it installed and made my first 10g of water. How fast does that first stage filter get dirty because man it is getting red... guess I have a LOT of iron in the well water or tanning in it or something... Here is how I have it set up in my utility room:

img_1376723_0_f40c34cb91271d47bbfc39ce5e77b4be.jpg

That's fast. Mine is starting to get a slight brown tint to it and I've made over 100 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom