Help me to identify my crayfish types!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashyxiv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!! I have two crayfish in two tanks (was planning to keep both in the same tank but they never stopped fighting). I searched web to check their common details, atleast their general behavior. But had no luck since I can't confirm what types they are (if I found their types I could do some research and read their body language). So my dear friends help me to identify their types.

Type A - An orange/red color, about 2 inch long. Seems pretty aggressive and found eating one of my Malawi electric yellow fish the other day. As I searched on the web I think he is a neon red cray fish. But I'm not sure because there are so many types when it comes to crays. Unlike my other cray fish, this one is very active and I always see he moving around the tank bottom most times.

Type B - Black one with dark blue claw tops and legs. I recently got this one from my LFS. Owner said me even though this one is black now he'll turn in to blue in no time (still doubt this). He is almost black now and yesterday he molted. This one also seems aggressive but I have never seen him chasing other fish, but i found that he killed few of my guppies. I have no idea about this guy's type.

So guys/girls that's my question, please help me to find their types (names would be fine). Then I can do my research. If you want more info to confirm, please let me know. Thanks much!

Some things to look for are the juvenile color vs. adult color. And how the claws look can be telling.

There are just a few types usually sold in stores.

More varieties are being bred now and crosses of those crays as well are being seen more often.

(Other than the Dwarf Crayfish) From the Cherax and Procambarus usually Clarkii but there is the self cloning variety (frequently found as tag-a-longs in bags of fish in fish shipments as they are used for cleaning up the tanks.)

Other than if they are fighting... they are a really fun tank critter.

It is hard to see exactly on the dark one with the bit of blue.

But it near for sure looks like the Neon Red aka Tangerine Orange. They tend towards more red than orange from the nice ones I have seen from the hobbyists at the Colorado Aquarium Society, during sales and shows. In listening to discussions from their keepers, it seems that many of these Neon Reds tend towards aggressive behavior / single Cray in a tank.

As for the darker one with blue it seems possible it might be a cross. It looks really similar to the Emerald. That said, many of the crayfish change colors quite surprisingly. I had a Ghost Cray and it was white when I brought it home and turned so very dark over time /numerous molts and months.
Here is a link
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/mystery-ghost-crayfish-369187.html

Anyway, how long have you had this dark and blue one, and has it changed color after a molt?

A couple side notes, are to feed with a food with astaxanthin, it helps with health and color - Hikari Seaweed Extreme has this and many specialty dwarf shrimp diets.

It is very critical to make sure they get enough minerals for proper molting.

An interesting bit of information for them also is that they like to have a hide out but also like to have an escape door/ path. After molting one could get trapped in a cave being soft and susceptible to predation, and not be able to escape an attack.

Crayfish are really unique and I really like them. You do usually have to always pay attention to tank mates and diet. Also they climb really well and I have heard of escapes.

Thanks Autumnsky for your detailed response. Much appreciated your input.

Back
Top Bottom