Help my Betta plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainNoob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Betta Babis, has been living in our newly running fish tank for 5days now. Today i noticed something that is making me panic! Poor thing showed a discoloration on the top of its head. All measurements (pH, gH, kH, NH3, NO2, NO3) appear to be within range with the nirtogen compounds (NH3, NO2) slightly elevated (NO2- 0.2mg/l, NH3 0.04mg/l). Nonetheless i performed a water change 25%).
Does it appear to be an infection, poisoning , or a headbutt onto something sharp?
Please help!!!

Attachments

• 2012-12-13 23.22.51 - Αντίγραφο.jpg
    2012-12-13 23.22.51 - Αντίγραφο.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 2012-12-13 23.24.23 - Αντίγραφο.jpg
    2012-12-13 23.24.23 - Αντίγραφο.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 74
Did you cycle the tank? Letting it run does not cycle it. I can't post links on my iPod, so I hope someone comes and gives you a link. Sorry I can't help much but the thing on his head looks like some type of fungus

Is it possible he hit his head on a decoration? Usually making sure the water is clean, warm & conditioned is enough for a fish to heal up. What are your using to test your water, strips or liquid test? What are your exact ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & Ph levels?

Did you cycle your tank properly? Please read this & then ask additional questions if need be:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Thank you very much guys for your interest!

The tank was cycled before fish were introduced for about three weeks (measurements taken, all the right bacteria present, even added some Sera biovec 24 hrs before fish were shown to their new home : 1x Betta, 2 X S.Algae Eaters and a beautiful orange snail)

Right after i got concerned with the head damage of the Betta and performed measurements, i saw the nitrate/ammonia spikes. Performed a water change to bring values to normal... which worked, temporarily!

Today measurements again show spikes for nitrite/nitrates: ammonia : <0.01ppm(Tropic Marin), nitrite 0.2-0.5ppm (Tropic Marin), nitrate an amazing 30 ppm, and pH (normal value) 8

My betta actually is doing better today with a remission of the damage (now leaning but not entirely convinced towards a head-on collision with something) but these numbers are worrying me !

What size tank is this? Nitrite reading of .2-.5 is concerning as it appears your tank is not cycled. As previously aksed how did you cycle your tank, pure ammonia? When you say it ran for 3 wks was there an ammonia source during that 3 wks? Did you add all of the fish at once?

Back
Top Bottom