HELP! Need some advice on my fish+store RANT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishMom08

Aquarium Advice Newbie
SOOO. I’m new to this website so I might not have posted this in the right place, but here it goes anyway. So I set up a 55 gal tank in my bedroom, and let it cycle for three days.

My plan was to get a pair of angels and some Mollies, Platies and some female dwarf gouramies. I had been doing my research for about a month to make sure they were all compatible. From what I read about 80% of the articles said they would work well together.

After letting it cycle for almost 4 days and checking the ph levels I went to the big box store to get the fish. (I know a lot of people don’t like them [moderator edit], but all of my experiences with them have been positive, before.)

So when I got there I told the fish lady what I wanted and She said the angels were WAY TO AGGRESSIVE to be in the same tank with the other fish I was going to get (Listed above). I was obviously confused, but there were a lot of people waiting to get their fish and there were only 2 workers.

So since I wasn’t about to throw it down with this store associate, I said “Okay, what do you recommend then.” I know your not supposed to take advice from the [big box store workers], but I didn’t have time to argue.

She then suggested I get some Tiger Barbs. I was in a rush to leave and thought maybe she knew what she was talking about. I had done no research on whether they were compatible with Angels, but I knew their basic needs so it wasn’t like I was just getting some random fish I knew nothing about.

I said okay and got a pair of Angelfish and 6 Tiger Barbs.

Once I was home I decided to double check that they could live with angelfish before I put them in the same tank. Almost all of the articles said they would not go in the same tank together without there being problems - NICE....

So now I have to do something with these barbs. I have a 10 gal I can put them in instead. Would that work or should I just take them back.

SORRY THIS POST WAS SOOO LONG. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take them back. Petsmart has a return policy so you should be fine. I would refrain from adding too much at once as it can put a strain on your tank and cause a bacterial bloom or cause your ammonia or nitrite levels to go back up.
The mollies would have been fine or platys if you wanted something more hardy.

First off, Welcome to the community!

There is a huge amount here.

Frequently disappointing advice when people do not know as much as one would hope.

All said though, my #1 concern here is the cycling issue. As mentioned many fish added at one time can cause a problem.

The nitrification cycle is what happens when BB / beneficial bacteria colonize in the filter media primarily, and do their jobs of processing the ammonia from fish waste and uneaten food, through the nitrification process taking toxic harmful substances and transforming them into a safe place to fish to live.

This cycle is appx a 5-8 week process for the BB to develop and grow.

Several days is not enough time to grow this critically important and essential part of the eco system.

Start here for the important basics and more information about the nitrification cycle.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Now that you have fish already you are doing a "fish in" cycle. These 2 articles will be very useful as well.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

As young fish, Angels are beautiful and lovely fish in a community aquarium. BUT... when they get towards adulthood, fighting and angsty behavior can explode in an otherwise peaceful tank.

Tiger Barbs wouldn't be an ideal fish in a peaceful community aquarium either. Cherry Barbs might work, but having a couple males and numerous females would be a better stocking ratio with m & f fish as the males chase quite a bit and having a bunch of females spreads the exhausting chasing /breeding activity over lots of females.

This same ratio idea works with many types of fish as well.

Very thankful you have a large size tank!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After reading up on how to get your fish through the time of the fish in cycle, you will have more time - after returning the Tiger Barbs, for planning future fish stocking options.

It is good that you have been reading up on tanks and fish keeping. You were able to double check and realize the Tiger Barbs might not work for your tank.

A good continuing starting point now would be to decide what type of tank you want to have.

Begin thinking through which fish or couple types of fish would be the most important ones for keeping in your tank.

Once you know that, you can build your stocking plan based on the pH, water temps, and behavior and compatibility other supporting fish types will have in the overall build.

Then you will be able to have the ideal tank after it is cycled properly your fish community will be safer with proper planning and care.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom