help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eqctim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so i got a 60 gallon tank which i set up for fresh water fish. I started by just wiping down everything and getting everything clean with just water no chemicals were used. I am using a canister filter. Also, everything was rinsed with water and cleaned before installing anything including rocks and fake plants so all is well i thought.
So i filled it up and to my surprise there is a layer of plastic on the top of the tank its was like fluffy and plastic looking. I immediately removed the fake plants thinking that is the only thing plastic and tried newspaper to extract to top layer off. let it run for a few days and again it happens. so the only other fake thing is the nice rock i bought.
At this time i figured it has only been about 2 weeks so i drained the entire tank cleaned everything and actually ran 60 gallons of water through a brita picture filter. Yes, insane but i had good luck with it in the past on smaller scale tanks. I filled the tank, cleaned the cartridge filter and rinsed everything off extreamy well.
Upon it being full for a day i get this as a result plastic looking again. i again skim the top of it and hope the filter catches most of it clean it and it has been clearing up a little. Has anyone else had this issue before? i have honestly never seen this ever and would love and an answer.

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited by a moderator:
i did also run a 5 way ph test and everything was really close to being perfect so that also has nothing to do with it

Is it coming off your substrate? Sounds like you're making a careful start! It's terrible when unforeseen things pop up like that. :(

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is there surface agitation? I get that in dead zones of some of my tanks but not nearly to that extent. It doesn't even look like that really but an air stones takes care of it in seconds.

i mean if i point the outlet from the filter onto of the water it clears it right up i just don't think that is normal at all even with no water movement at the top of the tank i have a 25 gallon that has never done that at all that i have had for a long time and believe me it got a ton worse than that it was like fluffy white stuff after like 2 days

Last edited by a moderator:
and also i just don't want the gap getting mixed into the water making it look like its gone but its still there i don't want to go buy some expensive fish and have them die because of it and again i know its not the ideal thing to do but like once every few days i take apart the filter system and rinse all the plastic crap off it i know I'm not allowing bacteria to grow but its the only thing that seems to help out

Are you dosing with ammonia to cycle your tank? If so, are you sure it doesn't have a surficant (soap) in the ingredients. The surface looks like a mixture of soap and dissolved impurities.
I've only ever seen an oily surface film where the fat content of food, eaten and uneaten, causes an oily film. Your pic doesn't fit that scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

no chemicals besides some of the fresh water salt have ever entered the tank

Is it micro bubbles? Have you used any stresscoat? What was the substrate that you used? I had a problem with foamy bubble stuff and it seemed to be from the stress coat, or the stresscoat and the Petco sand, not entirely sure.

Back
Top Bottom