Help Pls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackMSF

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I own a tank of swordtails and I was doing a roll count well feeding them. I noticed the main small orange male was missing. I looked around and found him wedged in a L shape in some fake plants. I tried wiggling the plants to get him out but ended up having to reach in. When I gently grabbed him he squirmed. I thought maybe he got stuck recently but apparently not as he is now L shaped, has ripped bottom fins and can hardly swim straight! When I was holding him he was straight but as soon as I let go he bent again. I let him go back with his tank buddies and he’s decided to wedge himself behind the filter where he usually sits during the day. I’m hoping that if he chooses to stay there his spine will heal but I’m worried about that and feeding him.
Any info will help I would like him to survive as he is one of the originals and a great grandfather technically that 3 generations of swordtails.
Thank you anyone and have a good day.

Attachments

• 755201E6-1E18-4707-AFC9-A8DD87548B20.jpg
    755201E6-1E18-4707-AFC9-A8DD87548B20.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 8292A3A9-E51F-410F-B258-3000F519E410.jpg
    8292A3A9-E51F-410F-B258-3000F519E410.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 10
What are your water parameters? Sometimes fish will wedge themselves in a plant when they are going to die.

Do you notice any raised scales on your swordtail? If so this may be TB which is common in swordtails with bent spines and raised scales.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the fish was straight and swimming normally yesterday and suddenly got the bent back today, it has either injured itself (getting stuck somewhere) or has an internal injury, possibly from internal organ failure. If the fish does not eat or start acting more normally in the next 24 hours, I would euthanise it. There is no cure for internal injuries and when fish suddenly bend and hide, that is normally the end of it and they die shortly after.

Make sure there aren't any areas in the tank where fish can get caught/ stuck.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn outside.

Back
Top Bottom