Help! Sick male guppy, not moving not eating.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

th9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help please!
One of my male guppy is not eating since last water change (2 days ago). No sign of infection, no hanging poop, no external fungal infection either. Most of the time he stays near the water filter. Rest of my guppies are very active and looks healthy and happy but I think my tank is overstocked with about 20-25 grown up guppies and lots of fry.

I have a 29gal tank, started 3 years ago, cycled, has two filters (one filter with BIO wheel), oxygen supply on timer, and co2 diffuser for plants. I change 25-30% water every weekend, every two weeks I vacuum the gravel.

Water reading:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate more than zero but less than 20ppm
GH-8
KH-7
pH-7.6 (tap water also has the same pH)

ps. last weekend I changed the light bulbs from dying T8 to a new 6500K CFL and now suddenly tank is brightly lit. Could this be stressing him?

Appreciate any and all advice!

Attachments

• notwell.jpg
    notwell.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 174
  • notwell2.jpg
    notwell2.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 171
Maybe try to feed some peas I know you said he won't eat but it could be constipation that's making him act weird. Peas should help with that IF that's what it is

Thanks! I might have to put tank divider to make sure other fish don't eat it. Steamed or just thawed peas would do?

Get one or two frozen peas put them in a little water and nuke them tell hot. Peel the skin off and crush them up real fine let cool then feed

He didn't eat any but today he looks bit ok, chasing females, mixing up with his community. Hope he gets well. Thanks everyone.

Still no improvement. This morning he looked active probably because I din have my coffee so everything else seemed active to me. :p

Today I changed 25% water just in case if something is high.

I have heard of people feeding a little garlic or soaking the food in garlic and water to get the fish to eat. It has to be fresh not powdered.

I was thinking of taking him out and temporarily and keep in a gallon bucket with water from the same tank and add some aquarium salt and maybe then give him some garlic or maybe peas again to see if he will eat? Taking him out will surely stress him more if he is stressed already. I filmed a video of him swimming but no way to upload it here. His tail fin wiggles in swim fashion but he basically stays in the same place.

Taking him out may stress him to much. The garlic and peas will not harm the other fish it will just make them interested in the food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom