Help, what happened to my Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickvisch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey

This is my first post so thanks in advance. I have had this aquarium up and running for several years now, but no sicknesses or any big outbreaks. Only deaths have been the odd neon once in a while. It's a 60 gallon tank with a large penguin filter, and stock is an angel and a blue gourami, bristlenose and common plecos, several corys, and a handful of neons. Like I said, haven't had any issues before, but... last week I noticed my gourami suddenly had this big opening right on the bottom of him near the front under his mouth. It didn't look like a cut or anything, it looked more like the pleco tried sucking him. It's big and round, and basically looks like his insides are coming out. Gross. I have added some photos, but he is all skiddish now and hides when I come close. Other than that, though, he is still swimming, eating, and interacting with the other fish normally. So he seems healthy, but this wound has been there a week and looks to have grown a little bit.

Any ideas?

He is currently quarantined, but I don't really know what to treat him with and not sure what happened... is it a disease or a wound. Perhaps he scraped it on something?

He appears very bloated and that white thing is odd. I would wait and see what other users say as I dont want to give any bad advice. I saw this same thing on someone's betta in another post like 5 minutes ago.

Oh my goodness. If I'm seeing it correctly, that is very bizarre and quite serious indeed. It looks like a wound to me, not disease related... has anyone been picking on him in the tank? Any squabbles recently? Unfortunately, I don't know that there's anything you can do aside from keeping the water clean and seeing what heals.

Clean water is most important for curing injuries. And maybe stress guard. Don't do Meds unless u know what it is or you might end up killing the fish by accident. Common plecos are known to suck on the sides of other fish to eat their slime coat, especially if they're hungry?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't noticed any squabbles... the angel and him were introduced to the tank together as young so they are good together. I was thinking a wound, especially as he was still acting pretty normal. I have never seen anything as bad as this though. So for now I have him in a separate 10g with a small dose of melafix as prescribed by my lfs. Cheers.

Just be careful with Melafix and labyrinth fish, the oils can hinder the function of the labyrinth organ, so make sure to use half the prescribed dose or so. I hope you see some improvement! Let us know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom