Help With Cloudy Water - Test Results Included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

realdeal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up this 10 gallon tank about 2 months ago. I let the tank sit with the filter running for 48 hours before adding 1 Goldfish and 1 Algae Eater (Pleco?)

I moved these fish from a 5 gallon tank because I was having issues with cloudy water and thought the tank was too small for them.

Unfortunately, I am having the same cloudy water issue again.

I am running the new tank with an Aquaclear 50.

When I do a PWC the tank looks great for about a day and then gradually gets worse and worse until the next PWC.

I am not having issues with Algae that I know of. I do not see any algae on the sides of the tank or the ornament in the tank.

I have attached to photos of the tank but it probably doesn't show you much. If I had to attach a color to the cloudiness, I would say it's a yellowish.

I purchased a water test kit and here are my results:
PH - 6.8
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5.0ppm

Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure if the results are good or bad, though I would think that they look good.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can rid my tank of this cloudiness? Approximately 15 years ago I had a 55 gallon tank for several years and never had any of these issues.

Thanks for your help guys.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg
[/img]

When you put the gravel in the tank, did you rinse it? How long have the fish been in this 10 gallon? The whole 2 months or just recently? How much food do you feed and how often? Does the tank sit in front or near a window?

Also, just as a comment, your fish would love some silk plants in there. Make it more comfy and stuff, and the tank would look cooler, IMHO.

Was the tank properly cycled, or did you move the filter over from the other tank? Also, what test kit are you using? If it's dip sticks, you probably won't get an accurate reading, and your tank could be starting to cycle. 48 hours does not cycle a tank. Doesn't even start the cycle. Unless you added media or filter from the other tank, the cycle generally lasts 6-8 weeks before it's safe for fish. And if it's starting to cycle, you will need to do lots of PWC's til it's cycled, especially with a goldfish.

no one believes me when i say how much pollution goldfish make (i hope joande see's the pics)

goldfish wreak waste, their the equivalnt of pouring nuclear waste in a pond, i used a penguin 330 and 170 for my fish tank, to no prevail, people dont think this but goldfish are like discus, needing water changes everyday, and they will outgrow that 10 gal fast, (if you decide to go bigger, please skip the 20 gal, save some $$$ and get a 29 or 37 gal, if not a 55 gal)

i really liked how the bio-wheels would clean up the amonia an nitro's without competing with my fish for air. (no i dont work for marineland, i just really like their filters, if you've seen me mention them in other forums)

LOL Yes, I see it hc! Makes we wonder if there's a market out there for a filter that connects directly to your water supply - sort of like an "endless loop Python" LOL

Personally I think the cloudiness in this tank has to do with an incomplete cycle - hopefully realdeal will pop back on and let us know how the cycle was done and how the gravel was washed

all you tropic people have no idea whats in store for you when you switch to goldfish...ahahaha!

best way is to put gravel in a cooking drainer, the dust falls through the bottom the first time, instead of rinsing the rocks in a container a 100 times

did it with a strainer, and the rocks and when i put them in, my new 55 didnt have a problem at all with couldiness

however if its been 2 months, i doubt its the gravel

-I washed the graved before putting it in the tank. I did use a strainer as hc8719 suggested.

-The fish has been in this tank the whole 2 months, minus the 2 days I let the filter run.

-The filter was new but what I did was let the media from my old tank sit in the bottom of the new tank for a week to assist in speeding up the cycle. Keep in mind the reason I switched to the new tank was because I was having the same issue with the old tank which itself was only about 2 months old.

-The tank does sit near a window however, there is no direct sunlight shining on the tank.

-I feed the fish twice a day and I have been very conscious in making sure that I do not over-feed it.

-I am using a test kit called "Freshwater Master Test Kit" made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. It does not have test strips. To test the water I put the water in a test tube and add the drops as instructed.

So, what do you recommend? Looking at my test results do you think the tank has fully cycled?

Thanks for all of your help on this, it is greatly appreciated.

PS - Funny thing is, my sister has a goldfish for about 5 years in a smaller tank and a crappy filter and rarely does (if ever) PWC's... her tank ALWAYS looks crystal clear!

realdeal said:
-I feed the fish twice a day and I have been very conscious in making sure that I do not over-feed it.

IMO, this combined with having 2 very messy fish (and if its a Common Pleco, it will quickly out grow that tank) is the cause of the dirty water. Reduce feedings to once per day or once per two days - the fish will be fine. Also, I might have missed it, but how often are you doing water changes?

i totally disagree with tbonem, goldfish have voracious appetites, and should not go hungry, this hurts their growth and color, nobody wants to see a sickly thin goldifsh

i noticed you dont have common goldfish, but those cap heads or whatever there called, they might be dirtier than common goldies.

i had goldfish for 11 years, cloudy water isnt uncommon, and PWC only help for so often, then the water will get cloudy again, do you by chance clean out the gravel from waste and excess food when you PWC?

otherwise get a bigger tank, goldfish get huge, this will slow down the process of them dirtying it, are taking them back an option?

world record for oldest goldfish was was 44 years i believe

When I do the PWC I do clean the gravel with the vaccum however, I never see a lot of waste coming from the gravel when I suction it.

How often should I do the PWC and how much water should I take out at each change?

realdeal said:
When I do the PWC I do clean the gravel with the vaccum however, I never see a lot of waste coming from the gravel when I suction it.

How often should I do the PWC and how much water should I take out at each change?

You should clean the filter media alot as well during the first few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom