Help with Fish Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AwkwardGiraffe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I've been creeping around the website and decided to make an account... I have a 3.5 gallon half-moon fish tank. I want to put some plants in it, but I'm afraid they'll get too big. I've ben looking into the Anubia Nana and maybe some java fern, but I don't want the plants to die, because I don't have the right conditions. The tank itself has a LED light and is by the window. I have some driftwood to attach the Anubia and API Leaf Zone. I also want to get white or black sand but I heard that isn't good for the plants. I would appreciate if you guys would give me a recommendation of what I should do.

Both anubias nana and java fern are generally tied to driftwood or rocks instead of put in sand. As far as sand goes, you can grow plants in sand, but you should put root tabs in the soil to give the plants nutrients.

By the way, where in WonderLand do you live? :D

Thank you! Would my type of lighting kill the anubias and java fern? And If I don't get Java fern is there another plant you would recommend? Where can I get root tabs and how much are they?

And I live in Witzend :b

Only some plants need root tabs (like crypts and swords because they take up a lot of nutrients from their roots). Just see what plants your LFS has, and then research and ask questions about the ones you like:)

Marimo Moss balls are great and require little light. Java Moss will work too.

Black sand or natural color (brown tones) shows less plant and fish debris.

Anubias should work well, there are several which don't get too big.

Just make sure not to let direct sunlight hit the tank or you will likely grow a lovely bright green patch of algae on the wall of the tank where the light hits.

Do you recommend any type of sand or gravel for me. I heard of Eco-complete but that's too expensive for a tiny tank XD

Marimo Moss balls are great and require little light.

Just make sure not to let direct sunlight hit the tank or you will likely grow a lovely bright green patch of algae on the wall of the tank where the light hits.
I see those at my Petco, I've always wanted one, but I'm afraid they're somehow fake...

I see those at my Petco, I've always wanted one, but I'm afraid they're somehow fake...

I edited my post before and so check it again, :)

The fake ones are in the cardboard package, the real ones are in the water. They are awesome!!!

Dwarf Vallisneria looks kinda like grass and grows on runners and needs low to medium light. 4"-6" tall, I have some which were in my daughters little tank and the light was broken for over a month before we got a new tank and they were fine, lol.

I am not too sure how much light that puts out, what brand name is it, I can kinda check. Gotta go to work in a minute though will need to get back to you later, others will add more too so you may have your answers before I get back home :lol:

Have fun! You can always buy a bag of eco complete online which is very good for plants and sometimes the combine shipping options can get you free shipping on heavy sand/substrate is excellent! And you will have more for the next small tank!

I edited my post before and so check it again, :)

The fake ones are in the cardboard package, the real ones are in the water. They are awesome!!!

Dwarf Vallisneria looks kinda like grass and grows on runners and needs low to medium light. 4"-6" tall, I have some which were in my daughters little tank and the light was broken for over a month before we got a new tank and they were fine, lol.

I am not too sure how much light that puts out, what brand name is it, I can kinda check. Gotta go to work in a minute though will need to get back to you later, others will add more too so you may have your answers before I get back home :lol:

Have fun! You can always buy a bag of eco complete online which is very good for plants and sometimes the combine shipping options can get you free shipping on heavy sand/substrate is excellent! And you will have more for the next small tank!

Yeah this Petco is new and it's very nice. They have their Marimo moss balls in the display tanks. So you're saying the ones in the display tanks are real?

Yeah this Petco is new and it's very nice. They have their Marimo moss balls in the display tanks. So you're saying the ones in the display tanks are real?

Yup! Find one which looks nice sized and doesn't look like there are any breaks/cracks, just a nice fuzzy green looking ball, and don't squeeze them even though people say it is alright... they can and do break and never grow back.

Thank you! Would my type of lighting kill the anubias and java fern? And If I don't get Java fern is there another plant you would recommend? Where can I get root tabs and how much are they?

And I live in Witzend :b

Well, the power of a light depends on the PAR value and the kelvin rating. Do you know either of those?

That's cool about Witzend. I have a friend who lives in Lal Aland. :lol:

Can someone answer my sand/gravel question?

I thought I did. You can grow most plants in both, as long as the gravel isn't huge. You just need root tabs. You can buy them on amazon, I use the seachem ones. I just don't know if they ship to Witzend. ;)

No I don't know PAR value and Kevin rating. And I meant for sand/gravel question is what your recommendation is for sand and gravel and why.

No I don't know PAR value and Kevin rating. And I meant for sand/gravel question is what your recommendation is for sand and gravel and why.

You could really do either one of any kind with no problem, as long as the gravel is pretty small (around 2-3 mm in diameter is good). I recommend eco complete, from what I've heard it's very good. That's a gravel, but if you like the look of sand better you could use Seachem Flourite, the sand kind.

Back
Top Bottom