Help with green algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've lately been having trouble with this green algae. It got so bad at one point that I had to do a rescape. It has come back in my new scape with a vengeance :banghead:.

This algae is green and hairy. It covers all of my plants (Dwarf Hairgrass, various anubias) with a short, green fuzz, which is impossible to get off. If I don't scrape my tank glass and equipment often enough, it coats them in long green hairs. Don't even get me started on the rocks and gravel (completely coated).

I did some research on green algae and found that they don't do well with shortened photoperiods and big water changes. However, the shrimp in the tank probably wouldn't survive big water changes. After testing it, the shortened photoperiod basically did nothing. I tried Amano shrimp next. Either I don't have enough Amanos or they don't eat the algae, because they don't seem to be making a difference. Nerites do well against the algae, but they lay eggs everywhere, further killing my aquascape.

As a last resort, I used hydrogen peroxide bombing on a spot. All of the algae in that area disappeared. However, the shrimp and fish didn't seem pleased so I stopped.

Any ideas what this stuff is and how I can battle it? I can upload pictures if you want.

I've lately been having trouble with this green algae. It got so bad at one point that I had to do a rescape. It has come back in my new scape with a vengeance :banghead:.

This algae is green and hairy. It covers all of my plants (Dwarf Hairgrass, various anubias) with a short, green fuzz, which is impossible to get off. If I don't scrape my tank glass and equipment often enough, it coats them in long green hairs. Don't even get me started on the rocks and gravel (completely coated).

I did some research on green algae and found that they don't do well with shortened photoperiods and big water changes. However, the shrimp in the tank probably wouldn't survive big water changes. After testing it, the shortened photoperiod basically did nothing. I tried Amano shrimp next. Either I don't have enough Amanos or they don't eat the algae, because they don't seem to be making a difference. Nerites do well against the algae, but they lay eggs everywhere, further killing my aquascape.

As a last resort, I used hydrogen peroxide bombing on a spot. All of the algae in that area disappeared. However, the shrimp and fish didn't seem pleased so I stopped.

Any ideas what this stuff is and how I can battle it? I can upload pictures if you want.

Man algae like this sucks. I’ve had it many of times. Almost always in newly set up tanks. In my experience, algae tends to subside as the aquarium begins to stabilise. This takes time. 6 months or more. In this time you really need to look after you biofilter.

This is anecdotal advice and I’ve seen the same pattern in countless journals. It will get better without black outs or nuking. Just gotta keep removing waste and keeping o2 high.

Pics attached.
18.75 g tank:
Ammonia is 0 ppm
Nitrite is 0 ppm
Nitrate is at 5-10 ppm
gH, kH, and TDS unknown. All I know is that they are a bit higher than usual (hard water in my area)
HOB filter (established sponge) with a supplemental air bubbler.
Inhabitants are 14 neons, around 15 cherry shrimp (soon to be more), and 4 Amanos

I guess I'll just deal with this stuff for a few more months. Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• IMG-2367.jpg
    IMG-2367.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-2368.jpg
    IMG-2368.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 18
Pics attached.

18.75 g tank:

Ammonia is 0 ppm

Nitrite is 0 ppm

Nitrate is at 5-10 ppm

gH, kH, and TDS unknown. All I know is that they are a bit higher than usual (hard water in my area)

HOB filter (established sponge) with a supplemental air bubbler.

Inhabitants are 14 neons, around 15 cherry shrimp (soon to be more), and 4 Amanos

I guess I'll just deal with this stuff for a few more months. Thanks for the advice!

I admire your persistence. Keep at it and let us know if things start to improve or get worse. Make singular and gradual changes then observe. You will learn so much more about aquariums this way and you will be so much less reliant on advice from others, being able to troubleshoot future issues yourself.

I know so much more about aquariums now than I thought I ever would. And have learned so much more even in the last 12 months just by testing regurgitated information first hand. I’ve also been wrong and had my bias proven wrong but it has enabled me to tweak and improve how I run my system.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom