Help with koi fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koigal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI, I have a pond and accidentally pulled eggs from plants and tossed them in a tote with fertilizer. When I noticed them they were only in a couple gals. of water and the temps were fluctuating night and day. So I grabbed a 40. gal. tank, 2 60 gal. sponge filters, 2 Fluval Q2 pumps, 1 40 gal. whisper pump and a 3" air disc. I had the tank running for a couple days with 1 filter and added Fluval Cycle, aqua extreme and beneficial bacteria. The other filter was placed into the tote with the fry. On the day I was going to transfer, the PH in the tote was 6.2 and the PH in the tank was 7.6. I was stressing out, so took the tank water down to 1/3 full and drip lined enough water to match what they were in, in the tote and left them overnight. The next day I removed more water from the tank, bringing it to a closer volume of water to match their current water volume. I scooped the water from the tote and started netting them out. All the water from the tote went into the tank and it was about 3/3 full. PH was 7.4. I added more cycle over the next couple days. Over a week, the PH dropped down to 6.0 or lower, I went to the petstore and he gave me a base rock,(lime rock) and said not to add anything else. I was still adding 1-3 gals, of water each day in order to fill it which was bring up the PH to 6.5;however it just dropped by the next day. A few days went by and the PH has been 6.5, but now I have ammonia.

So I need help! I put Aqua Extreme in 3 days ago for the 40 gals, even though it's not to the top, my Ammonia Alert shows safe, but I am still getting green. I just purchased Prime and ordered Nite Out ll.

Should I do a 10% water change and add the Prime and Nite Out for the 40 gals? Do you think those 2 sponge filters will be enough to remove toxins alone and what about my low KH and GH? I have pond snails in there that are becoming see through. I think I need some kind of minerals, but I have no idea what to add with my PH being low, dropping and the ammonia. The tank has always had an odor since I put some of the tote water in and it was outside, green and had water hyacinth in with them.

Here is a test from last night and just now, also a video I just took this morning. I know the video is a little long, please try and watch and let me know if they and the tank look ok, including filters and movement.

https://youtu.be/N5Z2c35tY44

Not the best quality, I have others that show koi closer, but not whole tank. So I can provide more if needed.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• test 8-30-19.jpg
    test 8-30-19.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 116
  • test 8-31-1.jpg
    test 8-31-1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 95
The tank is cloudy. Not ideal.

I would do a 50% water change and check your tap water to make sure it isn't filled with ammonia from the water supplier.

Since I am not familiar with Aqua Extreme or Nite Out I can't speak on that.

Prime will change ammonia (toxic to fish) to ammonium not damaging to fish.

https://www.seachem.com/stability.php

You can use Kent's Marine dKH superbuffer to help with building the kH slowly as directed on the label.
https://www.kentmarine.com/products/kent-superbufferdkh.htm

Then as you make pwc's you can add the appropriate amount of Kent's to maintain it.

The tank is cloudy. Not ideal.

I would do a 50% water change and check your tap water to make sure it isn't filled with ammonia from the water supplier.

Since I am not familiar with Aqua Extreme or Nite Out I can't speak on that.

Prime will change ammonia (toxic to fish) to ammonium not damaging to fish.

https://www.seachem.com/stability.php

You can use Kent's Marine dKH superbuffer to help with building the kH slowly as directed on the label.
https://www.kentmarine.com/products/kent-superbufferdkh.htm

Then as you make pwc's you can add the appropriate amount of Kent's to maintain it.

Thank you! I tested my tap and retested my tank. The Nite Out is from Microbe Lift-it says Removes Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. I was looking at the Stability link, that may be better for me. But seeing as I don't have any, I added more Nite Out today.
I have a question on the Prime. When that is added, Do we get a false positive on the API or any ammonia test kit? How will I know when the ammonia is gone if that is accurate?

Attachments

• tap 9-1-1.jpg
    tap 9-1-1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 77
  • tank 9-1-2.jpg
    tank 9-1-2.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 80
Yes, because there is ammonium which is technically measurable by the test as ammonia.

So how do we know when the ammonia is gone and to stop adding bacteria or the prime? Should I be adding both daily if it reads ammonia?

A couple ways to go.

Many people have good results with using Prime to keep the fish-in cycle not toxic. It takes about 6 weeks to fishLESS cycle and create a BB colony to handle a light to moderately stocked fish tank.

Online sells Prime in 2 liter bottles. Can one ever have too much Prime water conditioner on hand? (NO!!! - lol)

More economically, they sell a dry version (which needs to be dissolved in the water) I believe is the same qualities for making all parameters safe like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. (don't recall the name atm) Much more cost effective. I haven't personally used their dry version, probably should with how much money I spend on Prime yearly. :eek:

Quoted from the article...

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

"How do I know when my tank is cycled? Your Ammonia levels will gradually give way to higher Nitrite levels. Nitrite will lower to zero and Nitrates will start to rise. When you consistently test zero for Ammonia & Nitrite and have increasing Nitrate, you have a cycled tank! (Woohoo!) Remember that each fish you add will add more Ammonia and that time should be allowed for the bacteria to catch up. Add slowly and responsibly and you will enjoy the hobby even more and your fish will thrive. Happy Fishkeeping!"

Also you can add extra stem plants which grow like weeds in your local area to take up excess nutrients. Some plants do well for different regions. Water weed, Elodea /anacharis, Hornwort (which I can't grow in my water successfully).

Or floating Water Wisteria or Water Sprite. These are nice for the fry to hide in. Nibble on roots for micro organisms /aufwuchs.

But they will diminish water quality if melting/blanching/dying so that would make things worse. They would need to be removed to a vase or something with tank water and see if they recover, keep and use for later if they do.

A couple ways to go.

Many people have good results with using Prime to keep the fish-in cycle not toxic. It takes about 6 weeks to fishLESS cycle and create a BB colony to handle a light to moderately stocked fish tank.

Online sells Prime in 2 liter bottles. Can one ever have too much Prime water conditioner on hand? (NO!!! - lol)

More economically, they sell a dry version (which needs to be dissolved in the water) I believe is the same qualities for making all parameters safe like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. (don't recall the name atm) Much more cost effective. I haven't personally used their dry version, probably should with how much money I spend on Prime yearly. :eek:
Thanks. I unfortunately have to do this with the poor fry in there. I am still getting ammonia and no nitrite. PH is at 7.0 and KH at 2 drops. I am becoming very frustrated. I did a 25% water change on Sat. and have been adding the prime for the water I add and the Microbe Lift Nite Out ll for the 40gals. each day. The thing I don't get is is the prime and maybe the nite out give false positives, how will I know if there is ammonia? By Nitrite and Nitrates? Do I just keep adding the bacteria until I have Nitrates?

I could toss some mint with roots in there to float until they start to brown--Or I would have to order the other plants

I don't even know if those 2 sponge filters are going to provide the bacteria I need. Does it seem like they would?

It does take weeks to cycle but maybe the help of the bottle stuff will get it under control soon. Usually it will be evident with the nitrite and then nitrate. Just settle in for a period of doing checks.

The sponge filters will have a colony from the size and feeding and waste from the tank you got them from.

When you stop getting readings of ammonia, that might be a good sign.

If you have mint, you can scoop up some roots, rinse off dirt from it and wire or connect the plants maybe with a rubberband, twist tie. hang over the side with roots in.

Pinch off any leaves which would be under the water so they don't rot. Lots of people use misc things from the dollar store to make little hang on holders.

I used a plastic Starbucks cold cup (they are very strong) for my last one.
Sat the roots inside (after all the cutting)
cut out the bottom of the cup with a x-acto pen knife and a few inch arch from the side to be towards the inside /center of the tank. To allow good flow.

The top 4 or so inches of the cup stay like an intact circle/tube.

I used 2 slices a couple inches apart and some clean cotton string to tie a slightly loose loop.

Then another piece of cotton to tie the cup inside the tank with the extra cotton to tie around the whole HOBto make it hand where needed.

Tied with a bow so I could adjust if it got loose or needed to move the HOB.

You can use a Pothos plant too or Peace lily or Arrowhead plant (Syngonium podophyllum)or an Anthurium a smaller/med. sized plant, with great flowers, or Chinese Evergreen! Just rinse off all the soil outside and being gentle with the roots. Verify safety for children or animals if you use any houseplants.

Soak rinsed off plant in some Prime water overnight or maybe like 6 hours (just guessing there) to help eliminate any ferts or weird stuff it could have had on it.

Back
Top Bottom