Help with new tank smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThahnR2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it normal for a new tank setup to have a burnt plastic kinda smell? We've had the tank up and running for about 2 1/2 weeks and just in about the last week this started. The weird thing is the water has the smell to it. I can't explain the smell other than like a cross between burnt plastic and burnt hair. Thought perhaps the light but I don't think that's it. We did introduce an air stone bubbler recently. Could that be the cause? We're new to the whole tank thing so just learning. Ammonia is at like .25. Nitrite and nitrate are both around 0. Just did a 40% water change last night.

The smell is to the point where I don't like my son sleeping in the room (tanks in his room). We need to get to the bottom of this soon.

Thanks!

If you're cycling your tank and using more than a cycled tank would of water conditioner that can make it smell. Prime especially smells of sulfur but its effectiveness far outweighs it. Waft your hand over you conditioner bottle and see if it smells similar

Thanks! Will check it in the morning.

Np, hope that's the cause. When I fish in cycled a heavily stocked tank(back before I knew what I was doing) it smelled awful, then later when I changed the substrate from gravel to sand the gravel smelled even worse haha.

You might want to try adding some carbon to your filter if you don't already have it. I had the same problem and the carbon fixed it right away.

If it smells like burnt plastic, I'd be more worried that it is something electric, have you throughly looked at the light? The aquarium should not cause the entire room to smell like burnt plastic, id I've all the electrical equipment a good look over, more so the lights

We turned the light off thinking maybe that was it. Left it off all night but it still smells this morning. Only other things plugged in at this point are heater and filter. The heater seems to be functioning fine as the temp remains steady. The filter does not feel hot as far as I can tell. Both are plugged into an outlet strip that does not smell or feel warm. So, I'll keep investigating and maybe try the charcoal. Thanks for the tips.

So we still don't know what is causing the smell. I don't think it's any of the electrical components. I have narrowed in on how to describe the smell. It's kind of like what you smell at a beauty salon - sort of a permed hair kind of smell, but now really a sulphur smell. And it's the water that smells. Maybe it's the conditioner, not sure. Is there a particular conditioner that is the best to use? I'm currently using one from Top Fin that we picked up at the pet store.

Thanks!

So we still don't know what is causing the smell. I don't think it's any of the electrical components. I have narrowed in on how to describe the smell. It's kind of like what you smell at a beauty salon - sort of a permed hair kind of smell, but now really a sulphur smell. And it's the water that smells. Maybe it's the conditioner, not sure. Is there a particular conditioner that is the best to use? I'm currently using one from Top Fin that we picked up at the pet store.

Thanks!
I'm not sure what 'permed hair' smell like!!. Your heater, is it fully submerged??

Yes. It's fully submerged and seems to be functioning okay. The water stays at a steady 76 degrees just where we set it.

Yes. It's fully submerged and seems to be functioning okay. The water stays at a steady 76 degrees just where we set it.
I just thought it might have been that. I have never heard or read of that kind of smell, in a tank. I've had fishy smells and even rotten fish smells, when I tried to cycle with a shrimp!!.
I think you can rule out the lights, they shouldn't cause the water to smell. What is your PWC(partial water changes) like. How often, how much???

So I think it may be the heater causing the water to smell burnt. Not sure why as it seems the heater is operating correctly as the temp stays at the desired setting. We left the heater unplugged for about 24 hours and while the water still smells a bit the smell is noticeably less in the room. Any ideas on why the heater might cause the smell? Could it be interacting with something in our water? We are just using water out of our tap treated with conditioner We've never had it tested but I suspect that we have "hard" water. The weird thing is we didn't notice this until we did the first PWC and added an air stone to the tank. We did rearrange the decor and one of the plastic plants was moved a little closer to the heater. Perhaps it is too close? I moved it slightly this evening so it's at least an inch away.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Will follow up as I learn more.

It is possible that its the heater. Could always replace it and invest in a good ceramic heater like the aqueon pro series, I love mine and it looks great all black

Back
Top Bottom