Help wrapping up my Fishless Cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GregW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Day 9 of the readings in the attached pictures. Taken every morning, followed by a 50% water change and a re dose of ammonia to 4-5.

Any opinons or advice on where I stand and what to do and watch for going forward.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1010841.jpg
    P1010841.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 59
  • P1010840.jpg
    P1010840.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 60
To me your ammonia looks to be at 0 if not very close. Your nitrites and nitrates both look sky high, I would do a large water change to bring those levels down. Once your tank had cycled you should only have nitrates left showing up on the tests.

Thanks, the nitrites and nitrates have been off the charts for 9 days, even with a 50% water change every day. I just tried a 80 to 90% water change so we will see if that helps. The ammonia does go to near zero every 24 hrs after dosing to 4-5.

I'm not an expert, but this what I had to do.

Do the 50% water change but don't redose the ammonia right away. Wait an hour then retest the water. What are the reading then? If they are still off the chart, do another water change, wait an hour, and retest. Repeat until the values are back on the chart. Remember to redose the ammonia after you get the water where you want it.

How much ammonia are you redosing to right now? 4-5ppm I should read more carefully.

When I hit this point in my cycle I backed my ammonia dosing off to 2ppm. This was my logic. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. You know you have enough of BB1 because the ammonia is almost gone every day. You know you have some BB2 because there are Nitrates, but you need more because there are still Nitrites present Why keep adding more Nitrite, via stronger ammonia concentrations, when you don't have enough BB2 to keep up already?

Ok so I did an 80% water change yesterday and a 90% one today. And still my Nitrites are off the charts. I have been avoiding doing 2 water changes in a row but I guess I need to. My question is this, do I need to add the water conditioner on the first water change even though I am going to just empty it out?

No I wait an hour or 2. I read how I'm supposed to do back to back water changes. It just doesn't make much sense to me if I emptied out most of the water. I just need to know if I need to waste water conditioner on the first change. I don't want to make any
mistakes, but I also don't want to waste conditioner if its not necessary.

If you test your water source, does it contain nitrite?

If you change the water right away you should be fine not dosing in between, unless your water is super chlorinated. I don't dose in between back-to-back changes and i cant say that i ever had any problems. Getting through the N-ITE to N-ATE can seem like an eternity, hang in there.

Thank's, I don't have a patience problem. I just worry if high Nitrite readings that a can't get down with single large water changes is something I have to worry about or not.

Hey, thanks for checking. I just tested my water source and no nitrates.
So I'm on day 14 of Nitrite/Nitrate/use up the ammonia readings.I tried 3 days straight of 90% water changes and could not bring down my off the chart readings. So yesterday I tried 2 90% water changes back to back for the first time and it seemed to bring the readings down a little but they are still high.

Do off the charts nitrite/nitrate readings stall or prevent the cycle? I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm than good to the cycles progress with these large water changes. I would just leave the tank as is until its done if it wouldn't hurt having these high readings. It seems like I'm about a week away from fish after 2 moths in and 1 failed attempt.

Back
Top Bottom