Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trickerie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive been fishless cycling for what seems forever. I finally got both types of bacteria in my tank, and did a 50% wc to bring my very high nitrates down (was 160ppm+). I dosed ammonia back up, and then waited a day to test everything. I tested my PH and its at 6.4! Every time I've tested it before this it has been 7.5.. What should i do??

Add new water. If your source of water is 7.0+ pH, then some new water should boost the pH. pH in aquariums decreases over time, due to negligent owners who do not clean their tanks very much. (I am not trying to insult or offend you!) If the problem persists, add some crushed coral in a nylon bag to the tank

Trickerie said:
Ive been fishless cycling for what seems forever. I finally got both types of bacteria in my tank, and did a 50% wc to bring my very high nitrates down (was 160ppm+). I dosed ammonia back up, and then waited a day to test everything. I tested my PH and its at 6.4! Every time I've tested it before this it has been 7.5.. What should i do??

To be expected during cycling. Put some of your source water into a container and let it sit out overnight (preferable with some aeration but if you can't do that then just put it in a wide shallow bowl). Check the pH tomorrow and that will be it's true pH and also what your tank should be at (unless you inject CO2 or are soaking driftwood). Do another water change to bring your pH back up.

hi Trickerie!
so are you saying your tank is cycled or that you are now showing nitrites? what are your readings?
I will assume you are now getting nitrites but that you are not cycled and back down to 0. if this is the case then your PH drop is due to the phase in the cycle you are in. do another large water change to get your PH to stabilize. this is a common problem people have during this phase of cycling. water changes should fix your problem, but if not there are other things you can do.

hang in there!

pH in aquariums decreases over time, due to negligent owners who do not clean their tanks very much. (I am not trying to insult or offend you!)

Actually, pH crashes are very common toward the end of fishless cycling a tank. They are almost to be expected. I don't expect that this crash is due to tank negligence :whistle:

Like what has been said, a water change is all you'll need to do Trickerie, to restore the buffers in your water and to allow the nitrification cycle to continue (a pH too low can actually stall your cycle).

Great job by you for catching it :) Just keep doing the pH test as part of your daily tests to monitor the cycle's progress.

My pH crashed during my fishless cycle, but one water change was all I needed and fortunately (knock on wood) it has not been an issue since.

Back
Top Bottom