Helppp cloudy green/white water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinadno

Aquarium Advice Regular
So basically I've been having an issue where my
Tank is getting very cloudy and almost green. I've researched and believe it is some kind of bacteria or algae bloom. So I have turned off my lights for a few days straight and it hasn't really gotten any better. Then I thought well maybe it's my filter so I changed everything in the filter (I use chemipure elite for carbon and another phosphate remover) and it seems to be pumping and drawing the water in as it should. And the water still has not cleared up. I feed my fish every other day and I do 40-50% water changes 2x a week. Help please!

Attachments

• image-1154159895.jpg
    image-1154159895.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 47
Have you tried the artificial beneficial bacteria ? I know from my experience it helps a bit with the bb. It's so annoying when this happens .. It usually happens to me once a year ! And I think you are doing all you can .. Keep up the water changes

If this is a newer tank these algae blooms are to be expected. Nothing much you can do about it. They will stop happening as your tank matures. :)

There's two main causes of cloudy tanks: blooms of heterotrophic bacteria and blooms of an algae species called euglena. The bacteria blooms are white and commonly occur in new tanks (<3 months of age). They can go on for some time, tend to rapidly reoccur after water changes. Algae blooms, on the other hand, can occur whenever you have excess ammonia and light. Unlike bacterial blooms, the water turns more green as it gets worse and will won't go away on its own without intervention. The problem comes with sussing out which is which.

If it turns green or doesn't go away after 2-3 weeks, then you should start looking into a solution. Otherwise, I would hold tight for now.

1. Determine if it's white or green water by putting water in a true white buck. Then we'll be able to truly help you.

Back
Top Bottom