high nitrite and nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZCNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tested my water yesterday and Ammonia was 0 ppm Nitrite was 2.0ppm and Nitrate between 20-40ppm I right away did a Water change twice of 75 % today my levels are 0 Ammonia, 0.25 Nitrite and 5.0 Nitrate. I did a with Fish Cycle that started a little over a month on 6/20 and 6/25 i had a reading of 0/0/0 amonia, nitrite and nitrate so i started adding more fish on 6/20 and on again more on 6/25 here is where i think i screwed up last week when i did my water change I didnt realize i was adding API Accu-Clear for Cloudy water instead of API Tap Water Conditioner also it was first time i used Phyton water changer kit that adds water directly to Aquarium. Now here is my question could have it been the Accu-Clear that screwed everything up?? And is it ok if i add Tap water Conditioner directly to Tank i was putting drops into stream from Phyton Gravel Tub so it mixes.
Thanks for any advise

Tank Info: 72G Bow with Flufal 406, Sand Substrate
Fish: 8 Platys (Cycle Fish), 6 Neon Tetras, 4 Albino Corys and 6 Zebra Danios

Tested my water yesterday and Ammonia was 0 ppm Nitrite was 2.0ppm and Nitrate between 20-40ppm I right away did a Water change twice of 75 % today my levels are 0 Ammonia, 0.25 Nitrite and 5.0 Nitrate. I did a with Fish Cycle that started a little over a month on 6/20 and 6/25 i had a reading of 0/0/0 amonia, nitrite and nitrate so i started adding more fish on 6/20 and on again more on 6/25 here is where i think i screwed up last week when i did my water change I didnt realize i was adding API Accu-Clear for Cloudy water instead of API Tap Water Conditioner also it was first time i used Phyton water changer kit that adds water directly to Aquarium. Now here is my question could have it been the Accu-Clear that screwed everything up?? And is it ok if i add Tap water Conditioner directly to Tank i was putting drops into stream from Phyton Gravel Tub so it mixes.
Thanks for any advise

Tank Info: 72G Bow with Flufal 406, Sand Substrate
Fish: 8 Platys (Cycle Fish), 6 Neon Tetras, 4 Albino Corys and 6 Zebra Danios

I think it's more likely that you just overloaded your bio filter. A general water change will add a very minimal amount of chlorine to your tank and shouldn't have a huge effect on your bio filter.

As for the 0 nitrate reading, I believe that the test was most likely done improperly for the nitrates. If you have had fish in the tank for any length of time they will produce ammonia which will increase nitrates in a cycled tank. There are very few instances where a nitrate reading should be 0 in a tank.

It could be just from adding more fish; the more fish you add the more ammonia is produced and the bacteria then have to catch up. I wouldn't add more fish until ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 on their own for at least two weeks. Until then, just keep testing and doing water changes as needed. Also if you didn't add conditioner with a water change that could have done something to the biofilter too. If you're using a Python you can just drain however much water you want, then add the conditioner straight to the tank for the whole volume of the tank (not just the water you are replacing) and then refill. When you run out of the API stuff, try to get some Prime; it's more concentrated so it will last longer.

Back
Top Bottom