High pH, Soft Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've been reading as much as possible on this subject and I wanted some community opinions.

I'm wondering if my soft water will have a slight negative effect on my RCS and snail populations. I've been thinking about maybe supplementing with cuttlebone but will forgo that if its not necessary. My RCS multiply but I'm not seeing the numbers I used to and I've noticed random snail deaths also( finding empty shells ).

pH is 7.4, kH is 2 p, GH is 5

Stock: 1 platy, 1 Molly, maybe 10 swordtails( 2 adults ), 2 bronze cories, RCS, Ramshorns snails, pond snails?, 1 MTS

55 gallon planted tank.

your parameters seems fine. I keep my rcs in gh 5 as well. If it really bothers you, you can use a bit of seachem equlibrium (or any other gh boosters, like salty shrimp gh +) to bring your gh up a bit.

Not overly concerned about raising the GH. I just want be sure that my inverts are getting enough minerals to molt properly and keep healthy shells.

Hoping for a diet supplement rather than changing water chemistry.

Gh is the parameter that affects how they molt, Calcium content in the water affects the gh of the tank.

If you want to add a diet supplement, feed them blanched spinach. It has high calcium content and they love it. Its a great natural way to supplement calcium to help them molt. I buy a bag and boil it for 3 minutes, then quickly dip them in ice cold water. Then i put them in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. twice a week i take a leaf out and put it in the tank. Lasts about 6 months for me =).

Other popular veggies people blanch for shrimps are zucchini, nettle leaves, maple leaves. Don't harvest them from outside unless you know they are not sprayed with anything insecticide.

Back
Top Bottom