high ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jowag1541

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 55 gallon tank is still cycling. the ammonia and nitrates aren't looking too bad now that I'm doing partial water changes but the ph is still pretty high. I have tried ph down and correct ph 7.0 but doesn't seem to be touching it. I have heard adding driftwood helps so I added a piece last week but haven't seen a change yet. I have well water and the ph is high in it so doing the water changes doesn't help with the ph. The ph is at 8.0. I've been more concerned with the other levels more than the ph but now that the other levels are looking much better I'd like to start concentrating on getting the ph down. Any ideas what products would work? Thanks!

An 8.0 ph is perfectly fine for all but the most sensitive aquarium fish. They will stay much healthier in a higher ph than they will when you are trying to correct it. Most ph products don't last very long and result in huge swings of ph that can stress or kill fish.

Oh okay, thanks! I thought that a community fish tank had to be around 7.0'ish. that's good to hear that 8.0 is fine. I have a few hardy fish in my tank now and they seem to be doing fine. I'm not sure what type I will be adding once my cycle is complete but I was thinking along the lines of Cichlids, Angle fish and not sure what else yet. Are these sensitive to ph? I'm really not sure what are considered sensitive fish but I guess the pet store can guide me when the time comes to add more. Has anyone used driftwood to control ph? I was thinking of adding another piece, not sure if one piece is enough for a 55 gallon tank--it is of medium size, not very large. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom