Hippo Tang Hungry???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are the chances of a Hippo Tang eating a Peppermint Shrimp that is abou t 1.5 - 2" in size? I cannot find my shrimp anywhere. The tang is about 3 - 4 inches. I also have 3-scarlet hermits 2-small clowns 1-small damsel and 2-cleaner shrimp in a 75gallon tank. Thank you

Chances of a hippo eating a live healthy pep shrimp...zero to none. Tangs are herbivores, generally speaking, which means they basically eat plants (algea). They will also eat what's fed to the tank, but I never heard of a tang actively hunting a living meal.

I agree, have you seen a molt? They definitely hide to give their new exoskeletons time to harden, not to mention, peps are kind of shy anyways.

I saw a molt about a month ago or so. Until now I would see the pep. shrimp everyday especially during feeding time. Maybe he is just hiding somewhere. Either way, if there has to be a missing shrimp I'd rather it be the pep. shrimp instead of one of my cleaners. I must say though, the peppermint shrimp did a great job getting rid of the few small aiptasia I had.

Back
Top Bottom