How big do Gold Barbs *really* get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the course of researching which fish I want to add to my 29 gal with 6 zebra danios and 3 cory cats (and some ghost shrimp), one fish that has caught my attention is the gold barb.

My problem is I have researched them online, and no one seems to agree as to how large they get at full size. I have seen claims ranging from 2" to 4". Which, for a 29 gal tank, makes a significant difference if I am looking at getting 4 or 5 of them.

Has anyone owned these long enough to get a good feel for their full-grown adult size? Any other comments about them (compatibility issues, etc.) that I should be aware of?

I have two, and they have stayed relativly small- 1-2in
However, when I bought them... they were in a tank with some that were about 3in
Instead of 4 or 5 get 2 or 3

They do better in smaller numbers? That's good to know. Do I need to worry about a male/female ratio if I get 2 or 3--and if so, how do I sex them? (Sadly, I don't know of a lfs around here that has employees I would trust enough doing it.)

I have 4 gold barbs in my 60gal, 2 females and 2 males. One female I measured last week at exactly 3 inches. The other female is slightly smaller and the males are even smaller at around 2 inches each.

I have found them to be very peaceful, but they are voracious eaters and will eat all the food before the other smaller fish can.

I had a trio of 3 gold barbs, they were the last ones at petsmart. They were about 2.5 inches. It was pretty cool, a few hours after I got them home, I walked by the tank and had barb fry! I let nature take it's course but the fry only lasted a week or two. I don't believe they were eaten, I think they fought the filter intake and lost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom