How long is flake food good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

How long can you keep flake food before it loses nutritional value?

honestly it last forever, flake food is like twinkies, it will last forever and survive anything, I've bought coffee can sized containers of fish food and had it for over a year and it was still fresh as the day I bought it, I hopnestly don't think it goes bad lol

I disagree. The food can go stale after you open it. It'll lose its color and it just smells stale. I don't know how long it takes, but its pretty obvious once it happens.

I try to never use it for more than 6 months after I open it. I have read in magazines and on line that once dried food is opened it loses it nutritional value after 6 months or so.

Two things happen to fish food once it's open: oxidation and accumulation of moisture.

You can't see the effects of oxidation, but be assured that it robs food of flavor and nutrition.

To be safe, I would toss food that has been open for more than a year. If it's in a vacuum sealed can that has never been opened, it is good for several years.

Oh, and tropicfishman is right about Twinkies. They're so full of chemicals that they never go bad...which is why I don't eat them anymore! :wink:

IMO, flakes are bad when you buy them.

But, moisture is a major problem since most people store the fish food by the fish tank that filled with water around 78-80 F and making anything around it humid.

I got around the problem by using the Tetra pro flakes. Much thinker and less messy in the tank. And storing everything in a air-tight canister set I had free.

1 month is all the longer I would keep normal flakes for. 4 tanks later I'm happy if I can keep food around for them that long.

I was worried because I got a can in August and still have it. It lasts so long because I vary the diet and dont feed flakes every day, and when I do, it's small pinches.

I only buy the smallest containers of flakes foods because I was concerned about shelf life after opening also.

I do wonder about the freshness of some of the other foods I have - pellets, freeze dried bloodworms and baby shrimp, etc. Some of those aren't available in smaller sizes and I really hate to waste it.

To address the issue of having food go bad, a fellow aquarium club member suggested air-tight mason jars to store food:

Attachments

• 10212006a_813.jpg
    10212006a_813.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 444
Good idea!
But, storing food on top of the lights is also not a good idea! The lights warm the food. I can't remember exactly what happens to it from there, but I do remember it being discussed in a conference lecture and being warned against it.

I put my flake food in plastic baggies stored in the freezer and return them after every feeding.

Just checking, Jchillin!
People at work leave the fish food on our work aquarium's light strip. I think it goes bad faster that way, actually.

Moisture is definately the worst affector of shelf life. Most flake foods have dessicant packets that remove moisture. In order for these to be effective you need to keep the containers sealed at all times. Even a day or two uncovered might be enough to let moisture spoil the food. I've had my Big Al's staple flake food since late-January of this year and it has no moisture yet. I plan on using it for quite a while. I will put in another order for a replacement next time I'm ordering from Big Al's however..

7Enigma said:
Moisture is definately the worst affector of shelf life. Most flake foods have dessicant packets that remove moisture.

you must be buying top notch food, ive only ever had moisture packets in freeze dried brine shrimp and tubifex cans

Back
Top Bottom