How Long to Run Dual Filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plumwd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started my 29 gallon with a Marineland Penguin 200. I'm not super happy with its ability to clear debris and the like from the water. Yesterday I picked up a Fluval Aquaclear 50 and am running them side by side.

I know I could run them together forever, but they don't fit very well together with my current hood. I'm fine with leaving the hood askew for the time it'll take to seed this new filter.

How long would you guys recommend running them in conjunction to ensure that the new filter is properly seeded?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Haha that's funny! Mine are more jam packed. I'll post a picture when I get home.

I might be able to cut some of it. The other option would be to just replace it.

I have heard anywhere from one week to a month. You can always play it safe and run longer, test the levels when you think you are ready to turn off the Marineland and again after to see if your levels changed too much. If so, restart the Marineland.

Why not just take the media from the Penguin and stuff it in the AC? No need to run both unless you want the extra turnover or flow. I ran a AC50 on my 30 long for years. Great filter, never had any problems.

Removing Floating Particles

I started my 29 gallon with a Marineland Penguin 200. I'm not super happy with its ability to clear debris and the like from the water. Yesterday I picked up a Fluval Aquaclear 50 and am running them side by side.

I know I could run them together forever, but they don't fit very well together with my current hood. I'm fine with leaving the hood askew for the time it'll take to seed this new filter.

How long would you guys recommend running them in conjunction to ensure that the new filter is properly seeded?

Hello plum...

You could run multiple filters and if you use poor filter media in them, you'll still get hazy water. What you can try is cut to fit poly fiber padding from Acurel. The company has been in the aquarium business for decades and knows all about filter media. Try their products in your filters and I'll bet your tank water is crystal clear in a few days. Then, you can move the media to whatever tank or tanks you want.

B

I thought about using the media from the penguin but the aquaclear is stuffed to the brim.

I'll look into the poly fiber. It won't fit the aquaclear but if I decide to keep the penguin too I'll replace the old media with that.

Sorry for the hijack, but quick question: Is the AC 50 considered adequate filtration for a 29 gallon? I'm thinking of upgrading my 10 G to a 29 G soon and was thinking I'd have to go with an AC 70. I'd like to save the money and get the 50 if it does the job just fine.

I thought about using the media from the penguin but the aquaclear is stuffed to the brim.

I'll look into the poly fiber. It won't fit the aquaclear but if I decide to keep the penguin too I'll replace the old media with that.

What are you running in the AC50 now? If you have the activated carbon in, I would remove it and put the penguin's media in its place. If you want to play it safe and run two, I'd say a month at least. I usually try seeding the new filter with old media though.

As far as an AC50 on a 29, as I said, I ran one on a 30g long (3ft tank) and had no problems. Had many successful spawns in the tank. I was pretty picky about keeping the tank clean though, weekly PWCs and gravel vacs.

That's a great idea. I never thought to remove the carbon.

Back
Top Bottom