How long to seed filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a new filter running in a cycle tank with the old filter. I plan on getting rid of the old filter and leaving the new one in the tank. It's been running for about 2 weeks now. Can I take the old one out yet or should I leave it a bit longer? How long does it take to seed the new filter?

I seed mine for about a week. The quickest I've done is two days. I'd say at two weeks, you're good to go.

I'd say that the only way to be fully sure is to make sure your tank is cycled. Once the readings are the proper level of ammonia,nitrites and nitrates, you can safely remove the seeded filter.

Can I ask why you want to remove the old filter? Does it have carbon in it? From what I understand, you should never change out/remove any old media until it is literally falling apart. If it contains carbon and that is why you want to remove it, I recommend taking a pair of scissors and cutting the carbon out, then put the filter back in. Remember that the only reason companies recommend changing out filters is to make $ every month. This is a horrible practice as it leads to mini cycles. Most of the members here leave media in the filter until it is no longer viable. If you do need to replace it, you are right, let the old media sit with the new for as long as possible to colonize the new filter. If it's really dirty and that's why you want to replace it, just fill up a bucket with water from your tank on your next pwc, and swish it around real good. Make sure you don't use tap water, as it will decimate the bacteria.

Sorry, after re-reading the thread, you might have been talking about the actual filter, not cartridges or other media.

Though eco misread, he still has a good point. If you're not itching to use the old filter for a different tank, you could just keep it in there. Overfiltration is a great thing!

Rosenweiss said:
Though eco misread, he still has a good point. If you're not itching to use the old filter for a different tank, you could just keep it in there. Overfiltration is a great thing!

Especially if one goes kaput, then you've already got a seeded backup filter running.

I haven't really got room in the tank to keep both running, and some of my tetras have been swimming at an odd angle because of the current ;) the one I had before came with the tank and isn't all that great. I got the new one free with a magazine subscription and it's so much better. Does more gph, blends in better, is easier to clean, has three different modes, and it doesn't make any noise or rattle the lid like the old one did :D I just like the new one so much more. I will be keeping the old as a backup. If the new one packs up, ill just stuff some of it's media into the old filter so I don't have to worry about it starting a new cycle. I think I'm going to take the old filter out tonight, and I'll just keep monitoring the water for am, ni and na.

Back
Top Bottom