How many days does it take Chlorine to die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Heres my plan:
Replace the well water in my tank 5 gallons at a time or so, Ill do this a few times and wait a week after each time.

How I am going to do it: Set city water in a bucket so that the chlorine can die off.

My Question: How long does it take chlorine to die?

The thing Is, The LR for my tank will be here next week (I am thinking later in the week). I would like to get some of the well water out by then (I am also adding a couple snails then too)

Clorine will disapate in about 24 to 36 hrs, however cloramine does not and is more deadly to your fish than clorine. You need to use RO / Di or use a good declorinator which kills the cloramine also.

Is a regular thing like Declor OK or is there special products that I have to use for Marine tanks?

It costs a couple of dollars per bottle. 1 drop per gallon. A 2 oz bottle will treat 1200 gallons of water. There are many brands of different proces. I have not noticed any difference.

As for your well water - go you have limestone bedrock in your part of OK. Or are you the in the "red sandies" like the northern and western parts of Texas?

If you have a lot of red sand, you probably have a lot of iron in your water. Check the toilet - brownish - red mineral deposits mean iron in the water. Then if there is iron, you may have higher sulfur content as well.

Nope not red mineral stuff, I would say limestone.

OK Then Ill go get a small bottle of stuff then and use it instead.

What about Stress Coat? I am reading on the net it says it neutralizes heavy metals. Can I keep using well water and use this?

Or should I use this with city water?

Well I dont want to take ALL the water out right now I want to do it gradually, or get something like this that will knock out the metals so I wont even have to change the water.

So as far as metals go, will Aqua Safe work?

Like your signature. (y)

Don't use Stress coat, not in a SW tank, it will drive your skimmer crazy.

I would consider a ro unit as well. there are some one ebay fairly inexpensive, and they work well. But for 30 gal I'd probally go to Wal Mart and buy doem RO from them, At least to start with. Unless you have had your well water tested I'd be afraid to use it straight, my grandmom's old house has water so heavy with sulfur that it was yellow 8O .

I really dont want to do the RO thing, I would rather get some Aqua safe and treat the city water, and replace it over time.

Will more fish die? Well that's just hard to tell. But it is going to be really hard to tell you why they died when the time comes... How's the one you have left hanging in there? Were you able to take your water to a local pool store? That might at least tell you what you're dealing with.

Good luck! Hopefully it was just bad luck with the chormis (I've heard of people losing bunches of them) and your tank is fine.

I saw someone else mention that the aloe in stresscoat makes their protein skimmer go crazy... i dont have one yet, but i ended up buying Kordon Amquel.

The other one is fine, yes.

But I do belive there are lots of metals in there because like someone told me before, I havent had an algea bloom yet (Just diatoms on the sand)

OK I will do like I originally planned and gradually replace with dechlored city water once a week and then keep using city water.

Back
Top Bottom