How many hours should the aquarium lights be on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vipvenom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a dual PC on my 29tall. I run the lights on seperate timers. The 1st comes on from 8am - 8pm and the second comes on at 10am - 10pm. Is 14hours too much light for an aquarium? How many hours are your tanks lights on?

I was told that marine fish are use to 12 hours with light and 12 hours without. But I am not sure how true this is. I run my lights about 13 hours

I usually have problems with algae if I go longer than 11 hours. I don't have a reef though
actinic ON 1pm
10k ON 2:30pm
10k OFF 10pm
Actinic OFF 11:15PM

With PC or other HO fluors, you can run them a fair amount without negative impact an the inhabitants. MH on the otherhand should be around 10 hrs/day, too much can cause problems. Fluorescents are not intense enough to be a concern in that regard.

Cheers
Steve

Good to know about the lighting. I switch my timers to run 13hrs a day instead of 14hrs, mainly so I can sleep lol. If light becomes a problem what are some of the symptoms? Rapid algae growth as someone mentioned?

Lighting is almost never the root cause of nuisance algaes, excess nutrient/phophorus is. You should be able to run HO flour lighting for 15 hrs/day without issue.

Cheers
Steve

Well as of right now I haven't had an algae problem. I was just wondering if it was going to affect my fish or inverts at all.
If I were to start to do some easier of the corals would I need to follow a different lighting schedule or is my current 13hr a day sufficient?

vipvenom said:
If I were to start to do some easier of the corals would I need to follow a different lighting schedule or is my current 13hr a day sufficient?
13 hrs would be more than sufficient. 12-14hrs daily is a fairly standard photoperiod w/ fluorescent lighting.

Couple notes from experience...on my 29G I run the 03's for 8 hours and the MH for 6 hours. On my 75G I run the same schedule. However, as the VHO bulbs on my 75 age, I do notice an increase in algae and a decrease in the health of the corals. They are replaced every 6 mo. 2 03's and 2 10k's. Its a softie tank with a galexea (tooth coral) at the top. Everyones happy.

GL!

Back
Top Bottom