How much light do fish need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If there are not live plants in the tank, 4 hours is perfectly fine. Excess light can cause algae.

Ok. The windows in my apartment never see direct sunlight, and I usually have the blinds blocking most of the light. I just wanted to know. The tank is almost completely cycled and I may add some big fish in less than a week. Can't wait! :)

Thanks for all the help!

Fish have circadian rhythms like us that help them regulate body functions and metabolism. They definitely need a few hours of light per day.

If the tank is unplanted, 4 - 8 hours is enough. Planted tanks need 8 - 12 hours. It depends on your lighting, wattage, and ambient room light.

so im assuming its bad to run the light for a few hours, turn it off for a few hours and then run it again?

Actually, alot of folks with planted tanks do exactly that - they run the lights for 12 hours with a one hour break during the day - to cut down on algae. So I would say its ok to do that, unless the area is completely dark (making it look like night) - that could possibly be a bit "confusing" to their natural rhythms.

Really if the tank is in like a living room where it is light in the day an dark at night just from what naturally comes in the window, that is enough for the fish.

You should be fine with the 4hours of active light. Even though the tank lights are not on, the indirect light from the room will be more than enough to allow the fish a normal cycle. Now if you were in a room with no windows, and you kept it dark all day, then it might be a good idea to give some more light, but in most cases there is no problem.

And in my case (planted tank) I run the lights from 6:30am until 10:30am, siesta :) from 10:30am until 1:30pm, and then lights off at 9:30pm. I've watched the fish and its quite interesting that if it is a cloudy day (so the room is not brightly lit), they will take a nap during that break period, and my cory catfish who normally hides in a pot (until dark) comes out and hunts for food. Pretty funny to watch, but the most important thing is to be consistent. Timers are a necessity for allowing your fish to not become stressed. They will get into a regular schedule (like we all do), and prefer to stay in a schedule, even if that schedule is something other than what is considered optimum (4hours a day lighted for example).

justin

Back
Top Bottom