How much to dose with Ace Ammonia for fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm new in this forum and also in the aquarium world and would like to ask if there's any way to dose my aquarium for the fishless cycling?

Tank info is 10.6 Gallon. Inside is just soil and some gravel as I am preparing for planting. Using a back filter stuffed with pads, biorings and crush corals.

Before this, I did seed the tank with some fine-grinded fish food to increase the ammonia level. Then I finally found the Ace Pure Ammonia as I am in Malaysia and Google's results seems a lot towards the states shop.

Last test I check is 2.0 and when I added 1ml of Ace Ammonia and redo the test, it went 8.0! NO2 and NO3 is already on the chart (last check was NO2: 2.0, NO3: 10.0). FYI, I'm using API master test kit for freshwater.

My question is:-
How much of Ace Ammonia to dose a 10Gallon tank? I'm using a syringe to measure.

The tank was just started less than a week and I'm just surprised the numbers is already climbing. Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks!
Kirx

I used a capful of Ace ammonia in my 55 gal and it pushed it to 8! We're looking for 4 so I had to do a 50% pwc to fix it. So maybe a dropperfull?

I just did a 50% pwc. still waiting for the water to finish rotating before adding ammonia. will update later with test result.

dumb question, what will happen if i leave it at 8ppm? will the cycle be interrupted?

Ok just did the test and it's 4.0ppm without adding additional ammonia. Tomorrow when the numbers are down, i think i'll put 2 drops at one time...

You might have to wait a little longer then tommorow, wait till it's at zero or pretty close , then redose to 4ppm and see how long it takes, when it takes about 24 hours to eat up 4ppm your cycled , if want to keep the cycle but don't have fish dose to 1ppm daily or as needed

There's a bit more to it than just consuming the ammo. Check out the guide and FAQ in my signature. Welcome to the site :)

I have a 20 gallon and use a turkey baster (drops are probably bigger from there than a syringe) and 10 drops gets me to about 2 ppm from 0. The Ace ammonia is powerful stuff, the easiest thing to do is to add a few drops at a time and then re-test in about a half hour. Count your drops as you go. Then once you hit your desired level (between 2 and 4 PPM) stop and note the amount of drops it took, so you'll know for next time. Take a look at the link Eco gave you, it'll tell you step-by-step what to do. Good luck and good for you for doing a fishless cycle!

I've seen that generally 8ml of Ammonia (Ace Brand) will raise the level to around 4ish ppm in a 55 gallon tank.

I'd say so far with mine that has been pretty correct. Close enough.

So, you'll want around 1.5ml, give or take a little, to get a reading of 4ppm.

Now it's up to you if you want to try that or not. Or you can do the exact math but I doubt it will be enough of a difference.

Being very scientific, in my 20 gallon, to the bottom of the first cap thread seemed to do it. Just covering the bottom of the cap got it to 1.

The add a few drops & measure method works pretty well.

For the mathematically inclined:

10.6 gal is ~ 40 liters.

4 ppm = 4 mg/l = 160 mg in 40 l

Ace ammonia is 10% = 10 g/100 ml = 10,000 mg / 100 ml = 100 mg / ml

Therefore you use 1.6 ml to get 160 mg which will give you 4 ppm.

So ChristinaE gets the prize! :)

Haha. Cool. Thanks guys. I'm still out of town and I have no idea what happened to my tank at home. It's still covered with the black plastic. Need to get back home fast and check the water. Will update you guys soon.

FYI, I've done an excel data collection and will create a graph automatically. Will share this with the forum once I have the chance.

Thanks again guys. I think if it reaches 0, I'll be adding 1.5ml give & take.

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and also in the aquarium world and would like to ask if there's any way to dose my aquarium for the fishless cycling?

Tank info is 10.6 Gallon. Inside is just soil and some gravel as I am preparing for planting. Using a back filter stuffed with pads, biorings and crush corals.

Before this, I did seed the tank with some fine-grinded fish food to increase the ammonia level. Then I finally found the Ace Pure Ammonia as I am in Malaysia and Google's results seems a lot towards the states shop.

Last test I check is 2.0 and when I added 1ml of Ace Ammonia and redo the test, it went 8.0! NO2 and NO3 is already on the chart (last check was NO2: 2.0, NO3: 10.0). FYI, I'm using API master test kit for freshwater.

My question is:-
How much of Ace Ammonia to dose a 10Gallon tank? I'm using a syringe to measure.

The tank was just started less than a week and I'm just surprised the numbers is already climbing. Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks!
Kirx

HI! i hope someone will still reply to this because i've a lot of trouble accessing to pure ammonia in Malaysia. can you tell me where did you get the ammonia from?which ace hardware store? My place doesn't have one so i wish to go to the right place. thanks and appreciate!

Back
Top Bottom