How to catch fish in the QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im having trouble catching the fishes that are in my QT tank when i want to move them to my display. It seems like i stress them out to much from all the chasing. Any advise?

I'm sure there are better answers than mine. But, I just put a big net in and wait for them to swim into the net. Then, ninja fast up and out.

The QT tank should ideally be bare bottom with no decorations. At that point get the biggest net that will fit and it should be fairly simple to catch them.

I suggest 2 nets. 1 larger one for catching the fish and the other to guide the fish into the catch net. It's less stressful on the fish if you don;t hurry and just guide the fish to the net. It's easier in a bare bottom tank but in a decorated tank, this method also works.
Hope this helps.

I get something like a tubberware lid or a tank divider and round them into the net.

What I do is catch them after lights have been out and the room has been dark for a couple hours and they are "sleeping". They seem to have impaired vision when they're in this state and are much slower (this does not work for loaches or catfish).

I use a home made fish trap. I take a water bottle and cut the lid end off. I turn that part into the bottle to make a funnel. Use some packing tape to hold it together. Put some fish food inside the bottle. Place bottle in tank and let fill with water until it sits on the bottom of the tank. Wait for fish to discover the food and swim in. Then just pick the bottle up, remove the funnel part, and your fish are ready to go into another tank. If I have a lot of fish to catch I usually have to do this once or twice a day. After a few get caught they get scared and will not go into the bottle. Take it out and try again the next day. They forget quickly and will swim in again.

Back
Top Bottom