How to convert FW to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjazinski

Aquarium Advice Regular
My parents have a 30 gal freashwater tank, and i have a 20 gal saltwater. it's a canaster type filter and power head, so i don't think i can move it to the other one since the other one doesn't have the grooves and what not. The other one has a lid, and 1 light, were mine has 2 lights, And a setup for freshwater (whatever that includes, i don't know about FW) What would i need, and about how much money would it cost to convert it over to a saltwater tank, i would love to have two tanks going. Or would you guys recommend i get my 'feet wet' with FW. Thanks for the advice.

You may start a small bidding war. Since you posted this in the SW forum, most everyone here will suggest ways to do this. So let me (a fw guy) put in my bid for fw.

Yes, fw is easier and less expensive.

You can go either way. I really depends on where your interest is. If SW is what you want, there isn't any reason not to start with that. I would buy a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner first and read it. That will give you a good base for starting your SW tank...if that's what you want. SW and FW are somewhat different in their setup and require a different approach.

Back
Top Bottom