How to do PWC for larger tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best method for doing a PWC for larger tanks (180 Gallon and up)?

I can't imagine how long that would take with a python, since a 50% PWC takes about an hour with my 65 Gallon. I'm thinkabout getting a large tank down the road, but concerned about the maintenance routine.

Is there a secret method for large tanks?

No it's same process, just takes longer. I perform weekly 50% water changes on all my tanks, I can't do them all at once since I'll run out of hot water. Thankfully I'm on a private well which means no water bill and no water conditioner like Prime needed.

I have sand so no vacuuming (and the flow keeps debris moving until the filters grab it, so no piles of debris on the bottom). So since there is no vacuuming at all my python has a net rubberbanded over the vacuum so the fish don't get sucked up. I adjust it so it is down to where I want it to stop draining (I do about 80-90% weekly) and start the siphon. I then go down whatever I would have been doing anyways (usually online on forums and/or doing stuff for my business). When it is done draining I start filling and set the timer on the oven so even I forget I don't flood. Simple as that. I would do the same thing at the shop I was running (except work instead of sitting on the computer).

HUKIT - Sounds like you have a lot of water in your well! I remember growing up with a well and my parents would only let us take 5 minute shows due to fear of the well drying up! I guess you have no such fear?

FishGuy2727 - That sounds like a good technique. Is your vacuum connected to a faucet where it uses running water to create a siphon, or are you manually creating a siphon and just letting it run?

With over a 600 gallons of water being changed weekly plus daily living sure that's a concern, but my well pump is only 105ft down which is very shallow for a well, and you can always go deeper.

I am also on a well. To save the septic tank from flooding I drain outside and start the siphon manually then fill from the sink as usual.

Back
Top Bottom