how to get fish to eat in big tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so the 150 has cycled and the first thing I added were the 3 honey gouramis waiting in my established tank. Since adding them (its been 24 hrs) they won't come out of hiding. I plan on adding 3 cory cats from another established tank tomorrow and then after that a school of black skirt tetras, but how I stock is another thread entirely... What I'm worried about is that when I add my flake food, they don't swarm the top like they did in their previous home. I have sinking pellets but gouramis aren't bottom feeders, I've never seen them eat from the bottom before... What can I do to be asssured these guys eat whilst they are the.only inhabitants of this luxurious home...

What kind of gouramis are they? I'm positive they will eat once they feel at home.

I have a 220g tank and from the beginning I started feeding in one place in the tank. When they know its feeding time they all move to that area and wait. Is your tank heavily planted or more open? The gourami's depending on what size tank they came from are most likely feeling very insecure due to the size and possibly the openness of the tank. Plus without alot of other fish in there swimming around, well you know what they say "it's a big scarey world out there". One thing you can try is giving them a treat food they really really like... say alittle frozen brine shrimp. Add just alittle close to where they are hiding and see if they will come out for alittle. It would also help to put some type of school of fish in there. Don't worry too much as they will settle in and can go several days without eating.

Back
Top Bottom