How to get rid of cloudiness in my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
After I added peat moss to the filter, it gave off a light yellow tinge followed by cloudiness. How do I get rid of the cloudiness without removing the yellow tinge? Should I just wait?

Attachments

• 1408633127476.jpg
    1408633127476.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 59
Water Quality

After I added peat moss to the filter, it gave off a light yellow tinge followed by cloudiness. How do I get rid of the cloudiness without removing the yellow tinge? Should I just wait?

Hello again Nick...

The color is the tannic acid from the peat moss. Water changes and using poly fiber padding will do the best job of removing the floating particles in the water that makes it hazy. Acurel has a good cut to fit padding as does a company by the name of HBH.

B

I've already got polywool in the filter so does that make a difference?

If not, should I just wait?

Maybe try a water clarifier? If there are tiny particulates floating around that are too small for the filter to grab, the water clarifier makes them clump together, which makes them large enough for the filter.

Cloudy Tank Water

I've already got polywool in the filter so does that make a difference?

If not, should I just wait?

Nick...

The wool isn't thick enough to attract and hold the particles in the water. The Acurel product is a very dense pad that fits in the filter system. As the water containing the particles passes through the medium, the particles are attracted to the padding and held. A few trips through the padding and the water clears quickly. The padding can be removed and rinsed in some new, treated tap water and put back in the filter. It will last quite a while.

The padding is cut to fit, so it can be used in just about any filtration system. I use it my filters that hang on the back of the tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom