How to grow Java moss Faster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman1121

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a clump of java moss about two months ago and its not really growing. I've heard people say things like their tank was covered in a month. Mine's just sitting there on its driftwood. I add co2 and fertilizer yet there is still no improvement. Its only gown like 1 cm. My water parameters are fine too. Is there any way to make it grow fast? I was planning on making a carpet so i need more moss.

Mine grew fast in moderate to high light with co2. Moss can grow in a wide range of conditions because it's very undemanding. But faster when (higher than low) lights, co2, and some nutrients are present.

I feed the plants api co2 booster and api leaf zone fertilizer. I have fluorescent lighting if that's what you mean.

Leaf zone is lacking in a lot of nutrients as it's only potassium and iron. You should get something more comprehensive like Seachem Flourish. Too much API Co2 booster, which is a liquid carbon (glutaraldehyde based, not 'actual' co2), would actually kill moss -- so dose carefully. Using actual gas CO2 is different and better. What size tank is this and what lighting do you have exactly? Not all fluorescent lighting is the same.

Moss should still grow regardless of gas CO2 injection (but relatively faster with it)... the limiting factors may be the ferts, lights, and possibly dosing too much API co2 booster.

My tank is s a 40g and I actually have a really really bad black beard algae problem and I need to add co2 and lower light. Its just not going away. Its also killing all the plants. If you could suggest anything on that it would be helpful too. Thank you. And, I'm sorry, I still don't get it but where do I find what kind of light it is.

Java moss isn't always too fond of liquid carbons but will still grow in it. Some mosses like Fissidens Fontanus actually grow faster in higher doses of liquid carbon.

As for the BBA how long are you running your lights daily?

You can probably find information printed on the bulb or fixture somewhere? Maybe take pictures... is it one or two bulbs? T5, t8, etc? Reflectors present?

The BBA is from an imbalance. You can spot treat with hydrogen peroxide using a syringe.

I used to run the lights 14 hours a day but now I reduced it to 8 hours. I can't really spot treat THE BBA because its EVERYWHERE. The type of light is f25t8/5500k daylight.

ForumRunner_20130825_100928.jpg

You just spot treat an area of BBA a day until you get it all treated. Once it takes hold BBA can be hard to eradicate. Dose Excel daily, keep running your lights low now, and keep dosing ferts. You might also want to do a 3 day black out to get a jump start on the BBA if it's that bad. Then start spot treating. Also do you know your nitrate reading?

Is hydrogen peroxide harmful to the fish or the other live plants? And if not how much should I spot treat with?

Is hydrogen peroxide harmful to the fish or the other live plants? And if not how much should I spot treat with?

When used in proper amounts it's perfectly safe. I use it for spot treating algae and for a dip when getting new plants so unwanted snails, algae, and other nasties aren't introduced into my tanks.

For spot treating algae you pull up 3ml of peroxide to every 10 gallons of tank water in a syringe. Turn off your filters and while holding the syringe as close to the algae as possible slowly squirt it with the peroxide. Leave filters off for 20 minutes. Usually within 24 hours the BBA will start turning white, pink, or red which means it's dying.

Back
Top Bottom