How to prevent WC fish loss?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been doing water changes all the time and NEVER had an issue!! Tonight I was doing a 50% WC and when I went to unhook from the sink I found a zebra dead in the adapter!! :*(

Maybe a screen to cover the pipe that goes in the tank? This is horrible!! I feel terrible!! This is all my fault!! I should have took precautions!! :(

THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, so sorry about your fish. :( That's rough. Do you use that water changer to do your gravel vac? If not maybe some pantyhose over the opening might prevent a repeat.

Hholly said:
Aw, so sorry about your fish. :( That's rough. Do you use that water changer to do your gravel vac? If not maybe some pantyhose over the opening might prevent a repeat.

Yeah I use a gravel vac and this has never happened before!! Panty hose that's a good idea! I cannot believe this!! I feel so bad!!

Aw man! Dang im sorry. I use buckets so i wouldnt know what really went down other that he got sucked up. Ya maybe find a mesh bag, the kind you have for like scuba fiving and snorkling and stuff...

Yeah I can't believe this happened! I didn't even know until I unhooked at the sink, he was on the connection to the sink. I was so upset. I'm always so careful! Pantyhose will work just fine. That's it from now on.

I might be able to offer another idea. First, I cut a circle out of plastic craft mesh that fit perfectly inside the intake tube of my python. My original plan was to silicone it in place, but if I had glued it inside the tube close to the bottom, the gravel cleaning action would have been impeded. I wanted the craft mesh about 8 inches up the tube, but I could not figure out how to get the glue so far up the tube. So I drilled about 6 tiny holes around the circumference of the tube, and used fishing line to tie the circle tightly in place.

The hard part was manipulating the fishing line inside the tube. I ended up using a thin pair of "kitchen tweezers", a strong light, and a lot of patience...but it works great now. No risk of sucking a fish into the line, and the mesh is open enough to let the gravel crud through. I think panty hose is too fine...some of the finer crud will be sucked thru, but larger stuff will collect. Not the end of the world though.

This mesh idea (and the pantyhose method) will NOT protect larger fish, however. A bigger fish is not likely to get sucked bodily into the tube, but it does not take much suction to yank the side of a larger fish up against the tube opening, and injure him/her. I have read in this forum about fish losing eyes that way, and had one of my own fish get an actual bruise. Some people say fish dont bruise...well, he had a heck of a mark on him for weeks, and he never did swim right after that.

Needless to say, I felt like a real schmuck, and have been far more careful ever since.

My gravel vac has a plastic screen where it turns from large tube to small tube.

Mumma.of.two said:
That's a horrible thing to happen convict. :( but are you sure he wasn't already dead or very weak?

Wasn't dead for sure. But the way things are going. Weak is VERY possible. Not a good weekend for my fish and I.

Back
Top Bottom