How to put in copepods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlopNewsom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Had a very skinny Lawnmower blenny and was advised that they eat pods in addition to algae. I bought 3 bottles of Zooplanktos-M for him but now I'm not sure it's the right thing. The bottle says its copepods but recommends target feeding. I wanted them to grow in my tank. Can someone tell me specifically what I need? I hope he's still alive. I have a 210 gal with a 50 gal sump. The sump has live rock in it too.

You can add directly to the main tank or the sump. Probably best to put in at night, kill the lights and power heads. That gives them a chance to settle into the rock where they should be able to reproduce.

Ok, thanks. On the bottle, it advised to add smaller quantities and give your biological filter a chance to adjust. If these are animals? Then why will they affect the filtration?

Yes copepods are tiny invertabrates.. I cannot imagine they would have any major effect on your system. If anything I suppose they could be considered part of the clean up crew in addition to a food source.

Everyone seems to think they lack in copepods just because they don't c any. The truth is u probably have tons unless u don't have any LR in ur tank or sump. U can increase the number of pods by simply creating small piles of LR rubble where the pods can multiply without any predators disturbing them. If u would take a flashlight and cover it with a blue lens, u would b amazed at the amount of pods that come out after dark. I have a Psychedelic Dragonet that is getting fat on the copepods in my 30 Gal. tank. I Don't feed him or my tank anything. I use to give the tank Phyto Feast but learned its a waste of money. I also target fed my corals with Oyster feast and Arctic Pods. Not any more. My dragonets waste seems to supply enough nutrients to keep my corals happy

If I do have them, then my Lawnmower Blenny has other problems. I am going to so the flashlight thing and see.

Not 100% sure. But don't think those are live copepods. You need live ones to start or build on a population. Do you have anything else in the tank picking off your population?

There's a few companies out there. ALAGEN and dr. G's are two that I use. They both sell online and ship overnight.

FlopNewsom said:
How can I buy live ones?

I've had great success using Reefs2go, ask for Nikki.

I turn the lights, power heads and pump off for about an hour covering the tank with a blanket to block the light from the tv. The. After about an hour I'll turn the power heads on and then pump and skimmer.

Last edited:
Another thing that people don't realize, myself included. I thought my Dragonet was starving because I was looking at him the wrong way. His belly wasn't getting bigger and I thought that was how to judge his intake. Come to find out its not his belly I should b looking at. It's the hump on his back, just forward of his dorsal fin. I don't know anything about the Lawnmower Blenny but looks might b deceiving

1 more thing before I give it a break. Adding copepods is a waste of money. It might increase their number initially but the number will settle to the sustainable number that your tank is able to maintain. I purchased pods, including the expensive Tiger Pods. I even bred Tiger Pods (very easy) but in the end there aren't any Tiger Pods to b seen in my tank. They're easier to c than the normal size copepod. The pod thing is mostly hype. Any healthy tank with plenty of LR has pods. The tank would have to b awfully sterile if it didn't have pods. OK, enough said. I won't bore u any further

Jlsardina said:
Not 100% sure. But don't think those are live copepods. You need live ones to start or build on a population. Do you have anything else in the tank picking off your population?

Good point, my advice was under the assumption we were talking about live pods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom